Move a subset of Records

General
Teradata Employee

Move a subset of Records

Hello,

I am trying to set up our Development environment, and would like to take a copy of the Production envirnment and put in in Dev. The catch....I don't want 100% of all records in the tables. I would like only x% to populate the Dev tables.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Basically if the ArcMain process could archive a sample of data, instead of all the data, that would be perfect.

I don't want Dev to be a copy of Prod because then people will start using Dev to generate production reports and analysis.

Thanks!

Paul
Tags (3)
1 REPLY
Enthusiast

Re: Move a subset of Records

I can think of a few options. If you've got the space, you can use ARCMAIN to copy all of production and then purge all but x% of the records before releasing the environment to developers.

If you don't have the space for a full production copy, you could look at using TPT to copy individual tables. Just setup the EXPORT operator SQL statement to pull a sample and feed it directly to a LOAD operator instance.

With either of those options, you should be aware of potential referential integrity issues, though. Since they would indiscriminately choose x% of records to keep in Dev, you could end up with orphaned records very easily.

A third option is AtanaSuite. It's a third party set of tools for working with Teradata. One of the tools, the SyncTool, allows you to copy any database object and gives you the option of specifying a sample size for data copies. You can also define relationships between tables so that the tool will maintain referential integrity when copying smaller data sets. It's not free, but it's a great tool and does exactly what you're asking for