Need Help with Loading Geospatial Shape (.shp) Files to Teradata

General
General covers Articles, Reference documentation, FAQs, Downloads and Blogs that do not belong to a specific subject area. General-purpose Articles about everything and anything
Enthusiast

Need Help with Loading Geospatial Shape (.shp) Files to Teradata

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to load contents of a .shp files (Geospatial data) to Teradata.  I need to load this data using some sort of Unix script, since it needs to be executed on a schedule (daily).

Has anyone out there done this before?  If so, please give some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Need Help with Loading Geospatial Shape (.shp) Files to Teradata

Check the SQL Geospatial Types and Teradata Geospatial Utilities User Guide manuals available from http://info.teradata.com.

Enthusiast

The link you gave mainly talks about loading from a pc.  Is there any documentation for the Unix environment?  Before posting my question I also perfomed search on on the web, which took me to the link you mentioned below, but nothing could guide me loading a .shp file from a Unix system to Teradata.  

Teradata Employee

Teradata currently only supplies / supports a Windows version of TDGeoImport.

It's a Java application relying on open-source GDAL to do conversions to ST_Geometry "well-known" format and then inserting to the database; both Java & GDAL are available on other platforms - so in principle you could do the same sort of thing. It's not my area, but I suspect there are just too many potential variations in the Unix / Linux world for Teradata to officially support.  

Enthusiast

As stated earlier if you can use the tool to load the shape files. One other way is to convert your shape file to KML file (there are open source available for this) and then you can write a perl/python module to extract the geometry data with a link to the main data file. This is a text file that will hold all your points. Now you can use bteq import to load it. Hope this will guide you to right direction. Thanks,

Tags (2)