Need help in starting the TD1310_1TB - VMware Player

General

Need help in starting the TD1310_1TB - VMware Player

Hi Everyone

I am fresh to Teradata and was required to learn the software for a fresh role in my current job.

I installed a Teradata Express 13.10 1TB on my Windown 7 64 bit with VMware Player....

When I start the database to get a taste... It asked me for username and password

I put in my T-pass login user name: WilliamCCWong@gmail.com and the T-pass password and it does not help...

Do anyone knows who to get the user name and password to start the virtual machine

Many thanks

William
2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Need help in starting the TD1310_1TB - VMware Player

You might want to start by reading the step by step instructions that are available here:

http://developer.teradata.com/database/articles/introduction-to-teradata-express-for-vmware-player
Enthusiast

Re: Need help in starting the TD1310_1TB - VMware Player

William: user/pass: dbc/dbc

The step by step guide might be useful for someone familiar to teradata, but I found it lacking as a 100% new tdata user. Here are a couple pitfalls I encountered.

First off, there is no indication *why* host names need to be added to the host file (presumably for database name mapping), so if you get the IP wrong or misspell a name, the login will fail.

Also, the instructions indicate that the database must be started, but the VM ships with the database already started at the default runlevel.

Next, the instructions for the logon command is not prefixed with a "." nor suffixed with a ";" - I have found that one or the other is necessary

Last, and most frustratingly - there is no expectation set for how long an initial database login should take. On a 2.4ghz Core i5 laptop w/3 GB of ram and the VM allocated 2GB - it takes generally at least 20 seconds for the first DB login (you are left sitting there for quite a while after the password dialog).

HTH.