Performance Tuning Book Recommendation

General
Enthusiast

Performance Tuning Book Recommendation

Hi all,

I'm new in Teradata. I have learned the Teradata basics. However I don't know where to begin performance tuning topic. Are there any books you can recommend about the performace tuning issue? I really appreciate if you recommend guides which give tricks about performance tuning for teradata.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Performance Tuning Book Recommendation

I think Teradata documents  are  good guide. As a newbie, I feel you can go step by step and see the beauty of the database. Each hiccup or problem is an opportunity to learn.The list of documents you can go through are

Introduction to Teradata

SQL Fundamentals

SQL Data Manipulation Language

SQL Data Definition Language

Syntax and Examples

SQL Request and Transaction Processing

Performance tuning will come through experience and learning.

There a loads of other documents too.

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Raja

Enthusiast

Hi,

I started with teradata application design and development document. Then when I got the comprehensive idea about teradata, i continued with teradata warehouse administration and sql documents about teradata. 

You are right, I also think that experience is essential for the performance tuning issue. However I haven't found any practices for performance tuning issue on the documents which prepare me to real scenarios. You guys, can you suggest any guides including that type of practices?

Thanks.

Enthusiast

Hi,

I was under the impression that you are a newbie. For that reason I did mention about Database Design and some more docs. I can suggest then that you need to validate against those guidelines of performance tuning techniques.

Performance tuning can be viewed as System performance, Workload Mgmt, Capacity Planning, Application performance. Performance tuning is a vast world. You may want to go through Query Analysis features like QCF,TLE,TVE,Index Wizard,Stats Wizard,TSET . Also joins processing, checking queries using Explain, space mgmt, DBS settings, DB distributions etc. just to name a few.Under each of the above mentioned points, there are so many techniques. This is from technical side.

Have a look at the features above and get some more suggestions from others too.

Even in business, there is business performance tuning.We can use technologies.

Cheers,
Raja
Fan

Hi Volvox,

You can follow my blog, I periodically share tuning ideas, techniques and examples:

teradatatuning.blogspot.com

Ákos