SAY NO or NEVER to Agile Methodology in DWH project

General
Enthusiast

SAY NO or NEVER to Agile Methodology in DWH project

Being so much involved in Rally and updating daily the changes-- scrum meetings, let us play poker.....so many changes, I realize that Agile Methodology does not work for big DWH implementantion. 

So I state: " SAY NO or NEVER to Agile Methodology in DWH project"

How about others, who experience on this? Share your experience.

Cheers,

Raja

2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: SAY NO or NEVER to Agile Methodology in DWH project

Raja,

I would reply that it all depends upon the strength of the leadership and project manager.  I've seen both Agile and Waterfall projects succeed and fail.  It generally comes down to the technical requirements and how the PM schedules the work.

Agile can and very often does work well in a DWH project. 

We currently have a mix of both methodologies in my shop and the critical success factor is seen time and again to be the quality of the technical requirements, regardless of the development methodology.

We also utilize a significant percentage of offshore developers. I find that their experience also plays a huge role.  The inexperienced developers seem to grasp the smaller, faster workloads of an Agile project quicker.  The multiple scrums and updates give them more of an opportunity to present code, ask questions and resolve issues on a lower scale, resulting in smaller rework when required.  When mistakes are made, they are much less costly due to the smaller chunks of work involved.

The tools used can also play a critical part in an Agile project.  There are some integrated development tools that greatly enhance the productivity of the development team by reducing the amount of hand tooled code that must be written, e.g. Wherescape Red. 

Thanks,

Blaine

Enthusiast

Re: SAY NO or NEVER to Agile Methodology in DWH project

Blaine,

I can think of an on-going DWH project where it branches out. But building it from beginning, I don't see much hope , since ROI will be high. Understanding business requirements in reality also take time since it is not one-man army. It involves different SMEs and folks and we may not get the clear picture and roadmap. In theory it looks very much practicable. I stand by the opinion also that 3NF is better , since unanswered questions can be obtained :).

The point I mention is about a new one.

Regards,

Raja