SQLA 13.11 Command Line Question

General

SQLA 13.11 Command Line Question

We recently upgraded from SQLA 12.0.  We use the command line from .bat files to submit queries.  Previously, when a query executed, successful or not, the SQLA window would close and the bat file would move to the next line.  Now we are seeing that when a query starts, it opens the window minimized, but if a user clicks on the window (to check progress, for example), the window will not close when the query finishes.  If they do not click on the SQLA window, it will finish and close.

This is causing some jobs to halt and never go to the next step.  I cannot find anything in the user's guide about this, can anyone shed light on why this might be happening?  Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Thanks,

Paul B.

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: SQLA 13.11 Command Line Question

That is by design.

The idea of a 'batch' execution is that there is no user. If you click on the application it realizes that there IS a user and automatically switches back to standard operation mode.

If you want to run it in batch - so that it automatically shuts down when it finishes - then don't click on it.

Interacting with it means it is no longer a batch job.

Mike, thanks for your response.  One thing I would point out, is that even batch jobs allow monitoring of progress, which this seems to prevent, at least from the machine that is executing it.  This will require a bit of discipline to not check progress on a job, but at least we know it's by design, and we can adapt.  Thanks again for your response, much appreciated.

N/A

Just tired in 14.0.0.02 and it's broken in that version as well :(

This basically makes SQLA completely unusable for us. I guess I'm sticking with 12 for the forseeable future, which is a shame as 14 was quite a bit quicker.

Protip: Clicking on a window in the GUI to bring it into focus does not count as an "interaction" in the Windows environment (or any desktop environment for that matter). Moving windows around to clear space on the desktop, bringing a window to the front to check progress, minimising, maximising and so on are GUI interactions only, and should never interrupt a running process. I don't know of any other program which halts a batch job if you minimise it or click anywhere on it, and for good reason: That's an insane thing to do.

Add a button labelled "stop batch after this query" or something if you want users to be able to stop the running batch, making that button clicking anywhere on the entire application, failing to notify the user that that is the case and offering no confirmation dialogue is a terrible design decision.

I'm really not sure why any user would in fact want to stop a running batch in this way anyway, if I want to stop a running batch in SQLA 12 I simply select the command prompt and press CTRL+C to stop the batch, and then terminate the SQLA process manually in the normal way. There are no situations I can even imagine where I would prefer clicking anywhere on the application to a small button with a red X on it and a confirmation dialog.

Did any user actually ask for this design change?

Why did you decide to implement it with no confirmation dialog? Sure, a click signifies that there is a user, but how can you assume that user wants to interrupt a running batch process? Surely a "Terminate batch job after this query: Y/N" dialog box would be the very least a user could expect if they had triggered that action simply by clicking the screen.

Sorry for the rant, but this bug made me very angry, and your response is beyond awful.