Set tenacity and sleep in Tearadata JDBC

General
Enthusiast

Set tenacity and sleep in Tearadata JDBC

Hello,

How to set tenacity ans sleep parameters in terdata JDBC ?

Thanks

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Set tenacity and sleep in Tearadata JDBC

For Teradata utilities, it is generally recomended to use Utility Throttles rather than the old Tenacity / Sleep approach.

If you require similar behavior, the JDBC application could be coded to explicitly recognize a 2633 database error code, sleep, and retry. Such functionality is not available in the driver itself.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I tried using GOVERN=ON in the connection URL inorder to delay the fastload job when the limit is reached. But the delay is not happening. Could you please suggest any other parameter ?

Enthusiast

I get the following exception :

java.sql.SQLException: [Teradata Database] [TeraJDBC 15.10.00.09] [Error 2633] [SQLState HY000] Too many load/unload tasksrunning: try again later

I tried using GOVERN=ON in the connection URL inorder to delay the fastload job when the limit is reached. But the delay is not happening. Could you please suggest any other parameter ?
Teradata Employee

It appears you don't have utility throttles defined in workload management.

In that case, the logic to catch the 2633 error, sleep, and retry would have to be added to the Java application coding.

Teradata Employee

Fred is correct -- "tenacity" and "sleep" functionality are NOT provided by the Teradata JDBC Driver, and if you want that kind of functionality in your application, then you must code your application to behave that way.

Teradata Employee

Or better yet, get the DBA/admin folks for your system to enable utility throttles in the database.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I will try the option suggested.

Enthusiast

DBA has enabled utility throttles in the database. How can i set the delay parameter because i am still getting the SQL exception !

Teradata Employee

The Viewpoint User Guide is available here:

http://developer.teradata.com/viewpoint/reference/user-guide

In the Teradata Viewpoint 15.11 User Guide, you will want to review Chapter 33 "Workload Management".