Site does not seem to work under IE6

General
Enthusiast

Site does not seem to work under IE6

I know IE 6 is old and past its best, it does not support some of the whizzbang CSS stylings etc.
I am a web developer in another life, and hate having to make sites IE6 compatible, but it is a commercial reality.

We are a large corparate, who seem to be looking to roll out teradata to many sites, but we use IE6, and are only slowly upgrading.

I find the new site very slow to refresh the screen and slow to navigate, also some functionality does not work ("More formatting options" below for instance) and text is often obscured by floating panels on some screens. It constantly complains about missing updates required at the top, but in most corparate environments you cannot upgrade components easily. I find that around 35% of users still use IE6 /7 , with large corparates using significantly more IE than others.

Are other users having issues.

Disappointed.
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Site does not seem to work under IE6

I cleared the Cache out on this PC, and hid the show features bar on the top, it seems to work much better now, but the "missing updates bar" that IE throws up wants only to update to IE8.

I do like the site though, there are some interesting articles in here.

I see from the Style sheets that it does detect the IE6 browser and take evasive action. I have put in a requistion to get IE7!
Teradata Employee

Random_Thought,

They are still working on getting this site completely IE6 compatible. There are a few kinks that still need to be worked out. Keep in mind that this is still a beta site.

Have a great day!
Teradata Employee

We all know that IE6 is a bear to develop for, especially these days. In fact, I've seen some studies suggesting that IE6 retrofitting accounts for 20% of a web developers coding time. I think that is why many large sites are starting to slowly drop supportability for it. For example, YouTube is starting to warn users that IE6 will soon be dropped as a supported browser. In fact, Apple's MobileMe site already did so.

I think the demise of IE6 is nearing quickly. Thank goodness, for users and developers alike! I know my little IE6 diatribe doesn't solve your problem, but hang in there! I think it won't last long, especially once Windows 7 launches later this year.
Enthusiast

@Random_Thought We are certainly trying our best to ensure the site does not break in IE6 (I.e. following the Graceful Degradation approach), but as you know, there are all sorts of subtly different versions out there and we are constantly finding edge cases. That being said, we will never be able to offer the same browsing experience in IE6 as you will get in more modern browsers as it is so old and decrepit. If possible, please try Firefox or Safari.

If you do find issues, please send us notes/bug reports using the Contact form below.
Enthusiast

By the way, the "Missing Updates" bar is gone. It was an experiment that made an escape out of the lab ;)
Enthusiast

Thanks, the "Missing updates bar" removal seems to have vastly improved the whole experience. As you say there are many alterations to IE, we must use a modified version here as its config is tied down. Thanks for fixing so Quickly. I can get on and post some questions now.