TDexpress VM on Mac w/ Parallels, needs Kernel Parameter to get past TSC error at booting, or other

General
Enthusiast

TDexpress VM on Mac w/ Parallels, needs Kernel Parameter to get past TSC error at booting, or other

Hello, not sure where to place this post. I have successfully downloaded the TDexpress file, decompressed it on my Macbook Pro. I have Parallels as my VM (VMware like), and have converted the .vmx file to Parallels. As I start the machine, I get the LINUX wit the to F and N flag, I select that then I get what to boot, the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 – 3.0.101-0.125.TDC.1.R.0, and it starts to boot up.

I get an error right away and it freezes up, the error: Fast TSC calibration using Pit and sometimes it says: Fast TSC calibration using Failed. This is a counter, and needs to be disabled from what my research tells me.

I’m having a time to find how I can edit in this parameter: intel_pstate=disable into the kernel at bootup, and make it stick as well. Does anyone have a way or suggestions for me to try. Has anyone else had this issue and found a different workaround?

BTW, I have successfully converted a .oma file to a .vmx file to then convert to a Parallels VM of Netezza, all with Parallels on a Mac, even though designed for Windows running VMware, so I know my hardware and software are not an issue or a contributor to this matter.

Thanks,

Q

5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: TDexpress VM on Mac w/ Parallels, needs Kernel Parameter to get past TSC error at booting, or ot

Hello, if it is possible for me to find out what the clocksource is within the container for this Sles/TDexpress virtual machine,that would be a great help. I may be able to find the right combination kernel parameters to give it at boot up, and get past the freeze at startup. I've already tried:

intel_pstate=disable, and clocksource=tsc | hpet | acpi_pm variations and so far no good.

Re: TDexpress VM on Mac w/ Parallels, needs Kernel Parameter to get past TSC error at booting, or ot

Hi. Did you get anywhere with this? Thanks

Enthusiast

Hi, sadly, no, and I tried everything, and nothing, as well as trying a number of other tech forums related to this for more help and advise but to no avail. I'd be great if I could get the VM container of TD to work on my MBP as another VM, I have with Netezza and others.

Well I know that the VM works with VMWare Fusion on OSX - however I am keen for it to work using Parallels. Will post here if I find a solution. Thanks.

Enthusiast

I've made a lot of VM's run on Parallels on MacOS, it was a challenge but fun, and have quite a lot of VM's in Parallels on my MBP, so I see making everything a challenge to make it so! :) However I have considerd adding VMware for MacOS to the MBP, if two VM managers can coexist, and then get TD on the same unit, then will test if a tool editor in one VM can connect to TD in yet another VM ran by a different VM manager. Perhaps my new challenge right there. Please do keep me updated on your successes. Thanks