Teradata Database Installation Problem - Unable to Open File "Services"

General

Teradata Database Installation Problem - Unable to Open File "Services"

Hi ,

I downloaded Teradata developer version 12.0 and am facing with the following problem while installing Teradata Database.

Unable to Open File "c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\Services." Then immediately after this it starts rolling back the copied files.

I had successfully installed BYNET Driver.

Any pointers how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Anand
7 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Database Installation Problem - Unable to Open File "Services"

I have a file at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services as so:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This file contains port numbers for well-known services defined by IANA
#
# Format:
#
# / [aliases...] [#]<BR />#<BR /><BR /><BR />With the significant line for Teradata being<BR />tdmst 1025/tcp # TGTW<BR /><BR />If this file does not exist, perhaps you could try creating it with this minium amount of info and try the install again.<BR />If this file does not exist, perhaps you could try creating it with this minium amount of info and try the install again.

Hi , It tried having the entry in my services and retried installing, still get the same error.

thanks,
Anand
Teradata Employee

do you have administrative writes on your XP box ?
Teradata Employee

Anand, were you able to get access to the Teradata 12.0 Express? Was Vador's suggestion about Admin rights correct?

MikeC....
N/A

I get the same error. I am an local admin. I can edit the file with notepad (and save). I am on XP SP3. I rebooted once already after installing everything else. I am on a corporate computer with several security agents that maybe blocking access. But their is no ignore button only an "OK" button that automatically rolls back.
N/A

I'm faced with the same problem, instead with Teradata 13 Express on Windows XP SP3. This is the only place I've found it discussed. Anyone figure out a work around?
N/A

Well, I figured it out. In case anyone else is trying to install and has a Cisco Security Agent running, you'll need to disable it first. Google how to do this. Otherwise, it will prevent you from writing to the services file even though you've changed its permissions.