Teradata Express - VMWare 1TB version 13.10 - Frequent CPU spike and Nonresponsive system

General

Teradata Express - VMWare 1TB version 13.10 - Frequent CPU spike and Nonresponsive system

Hi,

We have recently decided to use Teradata for a new application purposes. Sicnce we could not make a justification to use a Teradata appliance for Developement purposes, we concluded to use Teradata Express - VMWare 1TB version 13.10. The same application will be hosted on a dedicated Teradata appliance once it moves onto Production environment.

Installation and configuration of the VM edition went very well and we started using the database with very little difficulty. The real Major issue we are facing in this environment is the way this VM instance using its CPU. We found in numerous occassions that the CPU is spiking to 70-100% with no known processes running on the database. Once the instance reaches to that abnormal CPU usage, it is hanging in that level and not letting any user to log in. We could Stop and Start the machine to get it back to usable mode but that will not be a permanent solution. The same behavior is repeating once a week; sometimes twise a week. Since Teradata express does not fall under Enterprise support pattern, we could not get much help from Teradata SUpport team.

I would like to know if anyone else had experienced the similar behavior with any of their Teradata VM instnaces. Any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks,
4 REPLIES

Re: Teradata Express - VMWare 1TB version 13.10 - Frequent CPU spike and Nonresponsive system

I use a VMWare configuration quite similar to the Teradata Express Edition on a daily basis--and have so for years--but I have never seen the phenomenon you describe. The first diagnosis step should be to identify the offending processes. The next time you see the CPU spike, try running the "top" command.

Re: Teradata Express - VMWare 1TB version 13.10 - Frequent CPU spike and Nonresponsive system

Well...when the CPU spikes, we were unable to get into the system. The console just Froze on us and nothing is operable unless we perform a restart of the instance. Just to add to my earlier description, we do not have anything really built on the database yet,hence no processes are running that I know of. Unless if there are any processes come native to Teradata Express that run on a scheduled basis. We are kind of hit a wall at this point of time.
Teradata Employee

Sounds like a potential VM environment issue, I would try to run it under a different physical environment.

I am installing Teradata Express - VMWare 1TB version 13.10, Study hard!