Teradata SQL Extensions

General
Teradata Employee

Teradata SQL Extensions

All,

As you know, Teradata handles ANSI-SQL as standard but also supports various Teradata SQL extensions to the ANSI-SQL, like EXPLAIN, SHOW, HELP, COLLECT STATS, etc...

Would there be a complete list of these Teradata SQL extensions anywhere?  If anyone has one, that'd be great.  If they have explanations, that'd be even greater.

Thanks!

Andrew

4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata SQL Extensions

All the Teradata Database documentation is available at http://www.info.teradata.com/

After going to that page, you can get a list of all the Teradata Database SQL Reference manuals by

clicking the General Search link

then choosing Product Line: Software - Teradata Database

then entering Title or Keyword: SQL

then clicking the Search button.

The Teradata Database SQL Reference manuals document for each SQL command whether the command is ANSI standard or Teradata specific.

Teradata Employee

Tom,

I appreciate that link.  We do indeed have the Teradata documentation locally, but I'd like to suggest that requiring support staff of companies with multi-million pound Teradata systems to trawl through over 2000 pages of extremely wordy documentation to find out if each of hundreds of SQL statements are ANSI-compliant or Teradata specific is simply unreasonable.

There must be a list of Teradata-specific SQL functions, just as I can easily get a list of the ANSI-specific SQL functions.  I am trying to provide a definitive list of these Teradata-specific functions to my analyst population.  No one has the time or the wherewithal of checking every single function, and this should be something that Teradata can very easily provide given that they've created these specific functions.

I do appreciate your reply, so thank you for that!

One suggestion to make this simpler for folks: When reading the documentation, search for Teradata Extension, as this is the verbiage used to indicate if a function is such.  Still a bit of an arduous task, but this makes it at least a little simpler!

Andrew

Teradata Employee

>>> I am trying to provide a definitive list of these Teradata-specific functions to my analyst population.

Perhaps what you're looking for is the Teradata Database "SQL Quick Reference" manual. (It's available at the same place I mentioned above.)

Chapter 5 "SQL Functions and Expressions" provides a concise list of all functions.

Enthusiast

I have been asked to do this same thing in the past. In the Teradata 12 Manuals, SQL Fundamentals Manual, Appendix E contains a table that provides information about the differences between ANSI SQL vs Teradata SQL. Unfortunately, this appendix does not exist in the Teradata 13.10 manuals in the same location.