Teradata V12 - 1 TB - VMWARE - root parition expansion problem. The limit is only 16 GB . How to expand

General

Teradata V12 - 1 TB - VMWARE - root parition expansion problem. The limit is only 16 GB . How to expand

We are facing this problem. We need to put 60 GB worth of data files on Linux so that fastload could be run. But the space allocated for root is only 16 GB by default. Last time we used vmware-vdiskmanager to expand and it rendered LINUX unusable and hence we had to re-install.
The question is which of the 3 disks should be expanded and what utility should be used to expand. I know it might be a stupid question but we dont have any LINUX expert here and any quick help will be highly appreciated.
2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata V12 - 1 TB - VMWARE - root parition expansion problem. The limit is only 16 GB . How to expand

The root partition is the 2nd partition of the 1st disk (i.e., /dev/sda2). However, I don't think you can expand the root partition without destroying its contents. As an alternative, consider either adding another virtual disk or mounting a physical disk.
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata V12 - 1 TB - VMWARE - root parition expansion problem. The limit is only 16 GB . How to expand

If you are using VMWare Workstation, another option would be to store your data files in a folder of the host OS file system and use the VMWare "shared folder" feature to mount the folder on the Linux guest.