Unicode (German) characters are not getting displayed properly in Teradata SQL Assistant

General

Unicode (German) characters are not getting displayed properly in Teradata SQL Assistant

Environment -

Data Base Version: Teradata 15.00.0404

ODBC: ODBC 15.00.00.01

Teradata SQL Assistant 15.00 (Installed on Windows 7 Ultimate)

German Display Language is also installed in Windows 7

Example:

Data in database: vorübergehend unzustellbar  (data is diplayed correctly in unix terminal using BTEQ)

Data displayed on SQL Assistant: vorübergehend unzustellbar

I have marked ODBC session characterset as UTF-8

Please help out!

2 REPLIES
Junior Supporter

Re: Unicode (German) characters are not getting displayed properly in Teradata SQL Assistant

Hi.

It seems you've loaded UTF8 chars in a LATIN column. The glibberish symbols correspond to the UTF8 code for your 'ü'.

What I guess is happening is that you are using a telnet/ssh client to the Linux machine. You probably have the client configured to translate asuming the remote (Linux) character set is UTF8. When you use bteq, it gives you the two UTF8 bytes for the ü, and is the telnet/ssh who translates into a ü for you. In SQL Assistant you see just the two bytes as two characters Ã and ¼.

You can check it yourself with CHAR2HEXINT().

Just a shoot in the dark, anyway.

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Re: Unicode (German) characters are not getting displayed properly in Teradata SQL Assistant

Hi Carlos!

You're correct, actually the column is UTF 8, but my TPT's session character set was "USING CHARACTER SET ASCII" in place of "USING CHARACTER SET UTF8".

I have changed it to UTF8 and now I am getting correct unicode characters in SQL Assistant.

Thanks a lot!

Sunil