Viewing results of WITH clause in Teradata SQL Assistant

General
Enthusiast

Viewing results of WITH clause in Teradata SQL Assistant

Hi, I have been trying to run a query that uses WITH Recursive Clause from Teradata SQL Assistant. The query runs fine but i am not able to see the result set.

It just says "WITH Complete. 253 rows processed" but the result window does not come up. I tried using the Export results but no results are exported.

However when I run the same query from BTEQ, the result rows are displayed.

I looked at all the options in Teradata SQL Assistant but not able to figure why the Answer set does not come up only for the "WITH clause" queries. When i run any other query the answerset window shows the result. Would appreciate any kind of information on this.

The sql assistant i have right now is of Version 13.0.0.01

Databse Version: Teradata 12.00.0331

ODBC 13.00.00.00

Thanks

Ashwini

3 REPLIES
WAQ
Enthusiast

Re: Viewing results of WITH clause in Teradata SQL Assistant

WITH and WITH BY do not produce true relational output like COUNT function. That is the reason you cannot see the same output in SQL assistant as BTEQ.

Junior Contributor

"I have been trying to run a query that uses WITH Recursive Clause"

If you actually use the Standard SQL WITH (i.e. at the beginnig of your select) you should see the result, but if it's old Teradata WITH (special clause for calculating aggregates) then only BTEQ will show the full result as WAQ already explained.

More current releases of SQLA should return an answer set but discard the intermediate rows produced by WITH.

A connection using .NET will return an error message indicating that WITH is not supported.

Dieter

Enthusiast

Hi Dieter,

Could you please give me some more notes about "Standard SQL WITH (i.e. at the beginnig of your select) you should see the result"?

Thanks in advance,

Mohan