Wish list for forum development

General
Senior Supporter

Wish list for forum development

Following the latest comment on

http://forums.teradata.com/forum/database/problems- with-dynamic-creation... lol

I also like to address some wishes for further forum development and I expect some other might add :-)

A better search implementation. I usually use google and get forum post but there had to be better ways to implement a in forum search.

stop spam usage - some people clean up every day but are there ways to prevent spamming into the forum.

Review on the posting guidelines. Some people are very lazy on that and just dump stuff without proper pre research (which is not easy in the forum - see 1)

Make a more obvious link to open new posts – it is not too visible.

I fully support ratzesberger's wish to be able to mark or rate responses.

10 REPLIES
WAQ
Enthusiast

Re: Wish list for forum development

Agree.

In addition to this, there should be an option to enable email alerts on the responses/replies on forum posts.

Teradata Employee

Ulrich,

Thanks for the feedback. We have been working to improve the user experience recently (e.g. the site should be noticably faster of late). We are rolling out a major under-the-hood upgrade of the DevX software in the next few weeks, which will address most of these issues.

1. A better search implementation. Agreed. We have some plans here, but this will take the longest to fix.
  2. stop spam usage. This has always been an issue, and has become a major one recently. This is a top priority, and we have an implementation in progress. Expect to see some changes a few weeks from now, meanwhile we'll have to keep whacking them manually.
  3. Review on the posting guidelines. Per (2) above, there'll be some changes here.
  4. Make a more obvious link to open new posts. Agreed. Change forthcoming.
  5. I fully support ratzesberger's wish to be able to mark or rate responses. Me too, and we have a design for this. Expect it this coming quarter, after the issues above have been addressed.

So, all told, I completely agree, and expect changes soon. If there are any other improvements/changes anybody would like to see, I'd love to hear them.

Teradata Employee

I'd like to see users rated, with an icon next to their name in the forum posting that indicates how reliable their information is, such as a silver star, gold star, or something. Also, Teradata employees who are product owners (such as me for the Teradata JDBC Driver) should have a Teradata icon next to their name to indicate that in the forum posting.

Teradata Employee

Tom, we're looking at some possible ratings mechanisms. And I agree, I would also like to see Teradata-markings, but I doubt we'll get to that this calendar year.

Teradata Employee

2. stop spam usage. This has always been an issue, and has become a major one recently. This is a top priority, and we have an implementation in progress. Expect to see some changes a few weeks from now, meanwhile we'll have to keep whacking them manually.

We've just rolled out some new anti-spam functionality. It should make a big difference.

Senior Supporter

One more wish:

The default language in the Code editor is JAVA. 

At least I post in > 90% SQL in a database forum.

Can the default be changed to SQL?

Enthusiast

Is the goal of the forums here to be more Q&A and less conversational? If so then I would suggest visiting StackOverflow and other StackExchange related sites. I believe there is a lot that could be gleaned from their design that would improve the user experience here.

• Not only should there be a up or down rating to a question or response but the ability to mark a response as the correct answer.
  • Encourage trusted members of the Dev Exchange community to become moderators.
    • Ability to close a question that has been down voted.
    • Ability to delete a question or answer that is obvious spam or irrelevant.
    • Ability to disable or flag users who consistently spam the environment.
  • Better tagging system.
  • Reputation system to enable users the ability to
    • Edit a question or answer. (e.g. Formatting, re-wording, etc.)
    • Approve edits to a question or answer.
    • Retag a question
    • Badges for rewards. (e.g. gamification of the environment)
      • Consistent visits
      • Edited post accepted
      • Answer upvoted 25+ times
      • Question upvoted 25+ times
      • etc.
    • Place bounty on question. Correct answer earns additional reputation points.
  • Editor in the forum should leverage markup language. Code blocks wrapped in `` (Code can be intelligently formatted). Bold text wrapped in '** **'.  (etc.)
Teradata Employee

One more wish:

The default language in the Code editor is JAVA. 

At least I post in > 90% SQL in a database forum.

Can the default be changed to SQL?

Urlich, your wish is my command. SQL is now the default.

Enthusiast

What happened to the Masters forum. I was on the list before and when it switched to the Developer site I stopped receiving emails.