default databasename

General
General covers Articles, Reference documentation, FAQs, Downloads and Blogs that do not belong to a specific subject area. General-purpose Articles about everything and anything
Enthusiast

default databasename

Hi Team,

I am aware that we can declare a default database name infront of any sqls in BTEQ and that database will be applicable withing BT ET

eg.

Database db1;

select * from employee;

The above query is same as

select * from db1.employee;

For some reason this is not working in my new work environment, does it need any access privilages assigned by DBA 

Regards

Parthi

Accepted Solutions
Junior Contributor

Re: default databasename

If this was SQL Assistant you might close & open a new session, but not in BTEQ.

Can you put EXPLAIN (or SHOW) in front of the Select and check the database name?

I just noticed you wrote about BT/ET, you can't use DATABASE within an explicit transaction, because it's considered DDL and thus must be comitted.

Otherwise it will result in an error which you should notice ;-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

"not working" is not a very precise error description, what does it mean?

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Hi Dieter

The query is not performing on the table under the database its declared at front

Regards

Parthi

Junior Contributor

If this was SQL Assistant you might close & open a new session, but not in BTEQ.

Can you put EXPLAIN (or SHOW) in front of the Select and check the database name?

I just noticed you wrote about BT/ET, you can't use DATABASE within an explicit transaction, because it's considered DDL and thus must be comitted.

Otherwise it will result in an error which you should notice ;-)