Aster Environments: How to Manage Dev/Test/Production (Attached Whitepaper)

Learn Aster
Teradata Employee

ABSTRACT: Discovery Environments (ATTACHMENT BELOW FOR FULL DOCUMENT)

Your organization has either made a decision or is about to make a decision in investing in a discovery platform. This is a new paradigm for many organizations. Most organizations struggle to figure out how to maintain, support, or invest. This manuscript will attempt to demystify many questions including:

• What is discovery and how do I support it in my organization?
  • What kinds of discovery environments are there?
  • What are the differences between the discovery environments?
  • What happens when discovery becomes repeatable and relied upon?
  • When do I need a production discovery environment?
  • How do I govern the environments?

The rest of this document will attempt to answer some of these questions. It will describe the five types of environments involved in discovery: Sandbox, Discovery, Development, Test, and Production. It will also describe the discovery process and how a discovery becomes production ready. We will also discuss how development and test environments can be leveraged to support Discovery and Production activities. The document concludes with three separate types of discovery environments and their limitations.

When reading this document, it is very important to understand that one size does not fit all. Every organization will have its own nomenclature, guidelines, SDLC, controls, and support governance processes. It is recommended that you use this document as a guide to associate with your organizations practices and procedures. There are other factors in force with respect to this document too: data security, privacy, and risk management. These areas cannot be ignored and will also change how the environments are governed and managed.