Path and Journey Analysis: Now Self-Service!

Learn Aster
Enthusiast

Originally published on the Aster Analytic Solutions blog at /community/bso/blog/2016/12/13/path-and-journey-analysis-now-self-service.

How many times have you hesitated to check out a new technology at work because you didn’t want something new to manage? Be honest. I know I’ve felt that way several times in previous roles.

When I talk with our customers who live in a world of data, it reminds me how much of their workday revolves around the mundane aspects of analytics – getting access to data sources, massaging data, cleaning up visualizations so others can understand them… The fun goes on and on.

Maybe that’s why folks are so surprised and excited when they see how the Path Analysis Guided Analytics Interface makes path analysis completely self-service. Don’t worry about struggling to manage users, writing scripts to access new data sources, or manipulating visualizations where something just doesn’t seem right. Don’t worry about lengthy services contracts every time you need to connect to a new data source or modify an analysis. Just start analyzing.

That’s right.

User management is already taken care of by your Aster administrator. The path analysis interface adds no new overhead here.

In fact, the only role of the path analysis interface administrator is connecting to a new database.

Connecting to a database within the Path Analysis Guided Analytics Interface.

Users can add a data source – basically, a table in Aster – themselves from within the interface. Since all permissions are carried over from Aster, the user can search for their tables and views directly within the interface and add those as data sources. In the screenshot below, I have logged in as myself, a regular user rather than an admin. You can see the fields for adding or editing the Online Banking Data set that I often use for demo purposes.

Adding a data source within Aster's Path Analysis Guided Analytics Interface.

If you don’t know the exact name of your data set, there is an advanced form that can help you find it.

Search for a data source within the advanced form in the Path Analysis Guided Analytics Interface.

That’s pretty much everything you need to do from an administrative perspective. Notice, we never once suggested paying for an expensive services engagement to handle any of this.

From there, it’s time for the analyst to set their parameters,

Setting path parameters within the Path Analysis Guided Analytics Interface.

View the results,

Viewing paths in a tree diagram.

And identify individuals on those paths. These next two screenshots show how simple it is to create a target list of individuals on a specified path with just a few clicks.

Creating a target list, step 1: Right-click on a path.

Target list step 2: Viewing your target list.

Oh, and if you ever need to find a previous analysis, it should be easy to pull up directly from the history tab within the interface.

Viewing the history of your path analyses within the Path Analysis Guided Analytics Interface.

Again, I should note that all of this analysis is self-service. Anyone with a basic understanding of the underlying data set can perform this. There is no need for an expensive services engagement.

Easy, right? Send me an email at ryan.garrett@teradata.com if you want to jump on a WebEx meeting and see it for yourself.