Getting started with TD SQL Assistant

Teradata Applications
Fan

Getting started with TD SQL Assistant

hi,

I am very new to Teradata, and need some pointers for help topics for beginners. To start with learning, I downloaded Teradata SQL Assistant. Now how am I supposed to establish connection/create database? Is there any sample database available for practice? Thanks.

4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Getting started with TD SQL Assistant

SQL Assistant and Teradata Studio are just client tools. You will need a Teradata database server, such as Teradata Express for VMware Player

Fan

thanks Fred, I downloaded Teradata Express VM Player. And I tried to play around with Teradata Studio Express. But I am not able to run any query since I am not connected to any database. How am I supposed to make a new connection? 

Tags (1)
Teradata Employee

For Teradata Studio Express within the VM, you should be able to add a connection using either dbc or localhost as the server name.

For client tools outside the VM, you will need to determine the IP address the VM is using. For example, from a Gnome terminal command prompt: ip addr show dev en0

Then either use the IP as the server name or create a hosts file entry on your client system.

Teradata Employee

Also see the Teradata Express Software forum for more information, or to post other questions specific to TD Express.