Limit on a table

Teradata Applications
Enthusiast

Limit on a table

My senario is like -

I have two table Tab1 and Tab2. Incase, I Tab1 can't have more than 5 milion entries, incase of any thing more old data should be passed to Tab 2.

How to do it in teradata?

6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Limit on a table

Hi San,

Can you please elaborate the scenario? You have two tables, Tab1 can hold only 5 million rows? and what is the benchmark for more old data?

and what is the source? is there any flag to represent older data?

Khurram
Enthusiast

Yes, 5 million is the volume constraint.

Or you can think I do not want data which is more than 1 yr old in Tab1. it should be passed to tab2( rather a history table by nature.).

Enthusiast

Hi Sankalp,

I think you may need to have a look at temporal features(Valid time, transaction time and bitemporal tables) of Teradata and then use a script to purge data to table2. 

The have features like time dimension.

Cheers,

Raja

Senior Apprentice

@Raja:

Temporal will not help in that case as deleting rows will not remove them from the table, but update them to closed.

@Sankalp: 

How do you determine which rows to be moved? If you need exactly 5,000,000 rows you might try to put that logic in a statement trigger , but i don't know if this is actually possible and performant.

If it's just one year simply add partitioning by day for the next few years and run a daily job to drop the oldest partitions using WHERE PARTITION = 1 and the INSERT INTO option.

Enthusiast

Ah ha! Thanks Dieter.

But yes a statement level trigger maybe a good option, though I have not implemented in Teradata.

Thanks,

Raja

Enthusiast

thanks! raja

Thanks! dieter for your kind attention.