SQL Assistant-ODBC: Unable to connect from Home network

Teradata Applications
Enthusiast

SQL Assistant-ODBC: Unable to connect from Home network

I have a laptop that connects fine from work, but for some reason I cannot connect to Teradata databases from my home network...I get a 10060 Error.."unable to connect to the teradata server". I even reinstalled the ODBC driver....still no go.

I checked my router settings, and no ports are blocked.

I know that port 1025 is the key port for this connection.

Anyone else experience this ?

6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: SQL Assistant-ODBC: Unable to connect from Home network

Need some more information about where the Teradata systems are that you are trying to connect to.

Is this a Teradata Express that is sitting on your laptop or somewhere else?

Assuming it is and you are using VMWare, what are the Network Adaptor settings?

If you know the I/P address of the Teradata system, can you "ping" it from your laptop?

Teradata Employee

I suspect your problem is DNS hijacking by your ISP, which interferes with the driver's "COP discovery" mechanism.

A quick workaround for ODBC or .NET is to go to the Advanced options and set the "Data Source DNS entries" to the number of Teradata nodes (or a small number, if you aren't sure of the actual node count).

There is currently no comparable option for JDBC. You would need to set the "COP=OFF" connection property and either have DNS configured to resolve the network hostname (without any COP suffix) round-robin to the IPs of the various nodes, or hard-code an IP address in the connection string.

Enthusiast

re: ""Data Source DNS entries"" 

I set it to 3 for now....I'll check when I get home.

Teradata Employee

>>> There is currently no comparable option for JDBC

Actually, we just introduced the COPLAST=ON connection parameter for interoperability with DNS that never returns a DNS lookup failure.

http://developer.teradata.com/doc/connectivity/jdbc/reference/current/jdbcug_chapter_2.html#URL_COPL...

The COPLAST=ON connection parameter is available beginning with Teradata JDBC Driver 16.00.00.28.

Enthusiast

Fred -

When I added "3" to the Data Source DNS Entries in the Advanced section of the Driver set-up, I was no longer able to connect from work !

Sorry, but I haven't tried from my home office....yet.

However, even if it resolves the problem, then I'll be forced to create a separate ODBC driver instance...one for home, one for work.

Teradata Employee

That's puzzling. It seems unlikely that COP1, COP2, and COP3 would all be down (or standby, or at max sessions) at the same time. It would be possible for incorrect hosts file and/or DNS entries to cause failure for 3 COPs but allow connection with COP4 or higher, but that also seems unlikely. I would think it's more likely that the connection failure was due to some other issue, and not this setting.

Do you have entries for COPs in your %WINDIR%\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file? And if so, are they correct. If there are no hosts file entries, then you are relying on the corporate nameserver (which is generally the preferred option). 

You could do your own "COP discovery": If the name of your system is "xyz" you could (at work) ping xyzCOP1, xyzCOP2, etc. in turn until you get a "not found" and record the IP addresses and actual number of entries.