Developer vs Base Edition infrastructure

Teradata Database on AWS

Developer vs Base Edition infrastructure

We are looking to test Teradata on cloud and have a question on the different editions. I started with a developer edition on i2.xLarge EC2 instance type. I noticed in the Teradata website that the typical configuration for developer edition is 2 virtual cores and 8GB RAM. The instance type i2.xLarge has about 4 cores and 30GB RAM. Does this mean I am not going to get full utilization of the underlying hardware? Is it logical to move to Teradata Base edition?

From a cost perspective, optional Teradata Database Features like columnstore, Row Level Security and Temporal are specified as "Priced Separately" on the Base Edition. Can the teradata team provide guidance as to what the price is likely to be on these features? Can we test the features and then deactivate those optional features and pay just for the time it was used similar to the software usage? I am new to cloud hosting, looking to test a Production usecase to see if this can be recommended and will appreciate any inputs so that I can buy the appropriate hardware and software.

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Developer vs Base Edition infrastructure

It sounds like you might be mixing Teradata database on VMware configuration with Teradata database on AWS. 

Please clarify when you state "I noticed in the Teradata website that the typical configuration for developer edition is 2 virtual cores and 8GB RAM" where that is?   That is a default of the Teradata on VMware.

Features like Temporal and Row Level Security are not currently available on AWS, but are with TVME.   Teradata database on AWS is packaged with Teradata Columnar and Block Level Compression.

You can find more information on the teradata.com/AWS site http://www.teradata.com/AWS/.   In the product and getting started guide (found under the getting started tab) you will find more information on the database in AWS and the various configurations.

Thanks, you are right that I am looking at virtual machine edition, but if you go to the link http://www.teradata.com/virtual-machine-edition/?LangType=1033&LangSelect=true you could see that the navigation in the top left says Products and Services > Teradata Cloud > Virtual Machine Editions so I thought this relates to cloud as well. If that is not the case, does that mean Base and Developer editions have the same features in AWS and can leverage the full power of the underlying infrastructure? RLS and Temporal not in AWS - didn't know that, thanks again.

Teradata Employee

Yes, I can see how that is confusing.   I will provided the feedback to site team.   TVME is packaged different than AWS and have different features available.     You can find the documentation for TVME developer and Base on http://www.info.teradata.com/templates/eSrchResults.cfm?frmdt=&txtpid=&txtsrchstring=teradata%20virt...