How do I configure and use Teradata Viewpoint AMI?

Teradata Database on AWS
Teradata Employee

How do I configure and use Teradata Viewpoint AMI?

I want to start using a Viewpoint AMI so that I can connect my other Teradata instances to it and start monitoring, running backup jobs, and etc. What is the proper way to launch and set up a Viewpoint image on AWS?

1 REPLY
Teradata Employee

Re: How do I configure and use Teradata Viewpoint AMI?

Here is the link to the official document for configuring Teradata Viewpoint

Basically, you need to first launch a Viewpoint AMI, make sure the incoming ports are set up correctly, create proper users on the database image, and configure Viewpoint. I will explain these in detail below.

Launch a Viewpoint AMI

Follow the setup guide to launch a Viewpoint instance

Make sure the incoming ports of the Database image is set correctly

1. Go to the AWS Console and click on “EC2
  2. Click “Instances” and then click on the name of the Viewpoint instance (not the database)
  3. At the bottom of the page, find the Private IP address of the Viewpoint instance under description and write this down somewhere
  4. Go back to “Instances” and then click on the name of the database instance (not the Viewpoint)
  5. Find the tab that says “Security Groups
    • You can also do this by clicking on the instance, scrolling to the bottom of the page and then clicking on the name of the security group identified by “Security groups
  6. Click on the name of the security group that the the source system belongs to
  7. At the bottom of the page, click on the “Inbound” tab and make sure that the following ports are included:
    • Type: SSH, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 22, Source:[Private IP of the Viewpoint]
    • Type: HTTP, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 80, Source:[Private IP of the Viewpoint]
    • Type: HTTPS, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 443, Source:[Private IP of the Viewpoint]
    • Type: Custom TCP Rule, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 61616, Source:[Private IP of the Viewpoint]
    • Type: Custom TCP Rule, Protocol: TCP, Port Range: 1025, Source:[Private IP of the Viewpoint]

Note: These rules will open the ports to the Viewpoint system only, so do not delete the existing rules. You will typically have more inbound rules than those listed above.
  8. Similarly, make sure that "Outbound" ports of the Viewpoint image is set correctly by referring to the list below
    • Outgoing ports used by Viewpoint
      • 22 (SSH)
      • 80 (HTTP)
      • 389 (Optional for LDAP authentication)
      • 636 (Optional for LDAPS authentication)
      • 1025 (JDBC)
      • 5432 (Cache Database)
      • 8081 (HTTP) for monitoring Teradata Hadoop systems
      • 8888 (Optional for monitoring Teradata Viewpoint servers - tmsmonitor)
      • 25 (SMTP)
      • 465 (SMPT over SSL)
      • 162 (SNMP Trap)

Create viewpoint and console user in the database image

1. Using a SSH client, connect to the Teradata database instance that you wish to connect to the Viewpoint image using the Public IP address of the database image
  2. Run BTEQ and log onto DBC
  3. Create a user named “viewpoint” with the password of your choice using BTEQ and the following query:
CREATE USER viewpoint AS PERM=1e9 SPOOL=5e10 PASSWORD=[your_password];
  1. Create another user named “console” using the following query in BTEQ.
CREATE USER console AS PERM=50000 SPOOL=50000 ACCOUNT=’$H-remote-console-user’ password=[your_password] FALLBACK;

Connect a database instance to Viewpoint

1. From the AWS Dashboard, click on EC2
  2. From the menu on the left, click on Instances under INSTANCES
  3. Find the Viewpoint instance and take note of its Public IP address
  4. Open up a web browser and connect to Viewpoint using the following URL
    1. http://[public_ip_of_viewpoint_instance]
    2. For example, http://12.34.567.890/
  5. Type in the username and password and login
    • Note: You may use the default login
  6. From the Settings, click on “Monitored Systems
  7. Click on the plus sign next to “Systems” and click on “Add Teradata System
  8. In the “General” tab, you need to fill in the following information
    • System Nickname
      • Give a nickname to your database system that you are connecting to the Viewpoint
    • TDPID
      • Go back to the EC2 Instances page (from step 2) and find the “private DNS” of the database instance
      • You can also put the Private IP address of the database instance instead
    • Database login
      • Enter the password for the tdwm and add the viewpoint user you created above
      • Click on "Test" for each account and also click on "Grant" for the console user
      • If the "Grant" button is grayed out, click on the "apply" button at the bottom of the page
      • When using "Grant," use DBC
    • Timezone
      • Select your time zone

9. Make sure you check “enable system” found next to your system nickname
  10. Click on “apply
  11. From the “Setup” tab below “General,” click on “Data Collectors,” “System Health,” and others and enable the ones you need
    • For example, to enable System Health Monitoring, click on “System Health” tab and check the box that says “Enable custom status” and click apply