Teradata TTU utility for Amazon EMR

Teradata Database on AWS
Enthusiast

Teradata TTU utility for Amazon EMR

Do we have Teradata TTU package which we can install on Amazon EMR?We need only the Teradata TTU package suite and not the database itself.Do we need to buy it from AWS marketplace?

8 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata TTU utility for Amazon EMR

Enthusiast

We have TTU package for windows in the site that you mentioned above.But AWS has Linux based operating system that I could not find in that site.Is the license available with Teradata?
Teradata Employee

Not sure if this helps you or not, but if you deploy a Teradata Database on AWS, then  under the directory /var/opt/teradata/TTU_pkgs

Yyu should see the following packages (your versions may be different than mine). So there are Windows, Linux and Mac OS Client packages available.

SMP001-01:/var/opt/teradata/TTU_pkgs # ls -l
total 734492
-rwx------ 1 ec2-user ec2-user 221043137 Dec 21 16:57 DatabaseManagement__windows_i386-x8664.15.10.10.00.zip
-rwx------ 1 ec2-user ec2-user 102429801 Dec 21 17:30 TeradataToolsAndUtilitiesBase__Linux_i386-x8664.15.10.10.00.tar.gz
-rwx------ 1 ec2-user ec2-user  37156769 Dec 21 17:29 TeradataToolsAndUtilitiesBase__MACOSX_x8664.15.10.10.00.tar.gz
-rwx------ 1 ec2-user ec2-user 390724487 Dec 21 17:31 TeradataToolsAndUtilitiesBase__windows_i386-x8664.15.10.10.00.zip

Enthusiast

The case you mentioned needs Teradata to be deployed on AWS server.But I want only the TTU package because my Teradata instance is deployed in a different AWS server.Is it possible to only obtain TTU package for AWS EMR/Linux?
Teradata Employee

As long as you have Teradata deployed on some AWS server you should be able to copy those client packages to another server to be able to use to connect to your Teradata AWS image. So for example you could log into your Teradata AWS image then transfer the Linux Client packages to a non-Teradata Suse Linux server that you want to use to run client utilities from and connect to your Teradata server from the non-Teradata server. Hope that helps.

Teradata Employee

Hi,

TTU does not support running on an EMR cluster.

But I would like to understand your use-case.

1. Is the data you are trying to query from EMR on S3 and accessed via EMFRS ? Or is the data on HDFS ?

2. Can you add more details on your use case for TTU on EMR ?

Thanks.

Enthusiast

@VinodRaman

We have the data on Teradata instance running in AWS single node cluster.The TTU(FastExport) has to be run on an AWS EMR cluster which will fetch the data from the stanalone Teradata DataBase Server and export it in the EMR AWS instance.So my guess would be the TTU utility should be present in the EMR of AWS.

Teradata Employee

Hi,

This is ceratinly a very intersting use-case.

We will investigate internally about potentially evaluating this for the future.

Thanks.