This procedure assumes you have PuTTY and PuTTYgen (PuTTY Key Generator) installed.
To configure PuTTY for connecting to Teradata Database on Azure instances.
1) Open a PuTTY Configuration connection
2) Select Category/Session; Host Name (or IP address): Enter IP address to your Azure instance, Port: Enter 22, Connection type: select SSH
3) Go down to SSH, click (+). Select Auth (Authentication).
4) Under Authentication parameters, click Browse to locate PuTTY key (xxxx.ppk) file you created using the steps below.
Note: The xxxx.ppk file can be generated using PuTTYgen by converting the xxxx.pem file that was created when you launched your instance.
Steps to convert SSH .pem key file to PuTTY .ppk file:
a. Open PuTTYgen, click Load.
b. Under 'Load private key' window, change File name to 'All File (*.*)'. Locate and select your xxxx.pem file. Click Open.
c. Click 'OK' when the PuTTYgen Notice window comes up.
Note: It should say 'Successfully imported foreign key...To use this key with PuTTY, you need to use the "Save private key" command to save it in PuTTY's own format.'
d. Under Parameters/Type of key to generate, select RSA
e. Click 'Save private key'
Note: To generate a ssh key, please refer to
5) Click Open.
6) This will establish the PuTTY connection to your Azure instance.