Teradata on VMware Developer Tier - Cannot get DSU running

Teradata Database on VMWare
Enthusiast

Teradata on VMware Developer Tier - Cannot get DSU running

We have just successfully stood up the latest Teradata on VMware Developer Tier, and got the Database and Viewpoint all running.

We are unable to get DSU working and are looking for some assistance.

From the BARLog, it appears that DSMAIN will not start.

2017/01/17 13:44:16.394 (100665440): DSMAIN is starting, 15.10.04.02
2017/01/17 13:44:16.406 (100665440): DSMAIN: CLIInternalSession Failure 3802 -
2017/01/17 13:44:16.414 (100665440): DSMAIN is exiting

2017/07/17 02:52:32.532 (100664640): DSMAIN is starting, 15.10.04.02
2017/07/17 02:52:32.546 (100664640): DSMAIN: CLIInternalSession Failure 3824 - Macro 'SYSBAR.BARCONNECTINFO' does not exist.
2017/07/17 02:52:32.556 (100664640): DSMAIN is exiting

This would seem to indicate we need SYSBAR.BARCONNECTINFO, which does not exist. I have tried rerunning the DIPBAR, and no macro gets created in the SYSBAR database, and no errors in the DIP txt file.

There is no macro on our new 2850 Appliance which is also running 15.10 RDBMS, so where does this macro come from?

9 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata on VMware Developer Tier - Cannot get DSU running

You may want to review the DSU installation logs to see if there are any errors that occurred during the installation. If no errors you could try creating that macro manually as follows:

REPLACE MACRO sysbar.barconnectinfo AS (SELECT 'localhost', 'dbc', 'false', 'null', 'null', 'false' ,'null', 'null', 'null', '61616';);

Enthusiast

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for that - tried using the replace macro you provided and restart DSMAIN through cnsterm, but same errors in /var/opt/teradata/tdtemp/bar/BARLog_26623_40.txt file.

Can you advise where the installation log can be located?

I had already tried the following macro also, using the actual server name for the DSU node.

REPLACE MACRO sysbar.barconnectinfo AS (SELECT 'dsuservername', 'ebook', 'false', 'null', 'null', 'false' ,'null', 'null', 'null', '61616';);

I have noticed the broker port is still commented out in the /etc/opt/teradata/dsa/config/barportlet.properties onthe Viewpoint node, but this may be a different issue

/var/opt/teradata/dsa/logs/dsc.2017-1-17_01-53-29-449.log shows

2017-07-21 03:18:56,048 [dlqExecutionReplyListenerContainer-1] ERROR [] jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer:931 - Could not refresh JMS Connection for destination 'queue://DLQ.DSC.ExecutionReplyQueue' - retrying using FixedBackOff{interval=5000, currentAttempts=0, maxAttempts=unlimited}. Cause: Could not connect to broker URL: tcp://39.42.212.104:61616?wireFormat.maxInactivityDuration=30000. Reason: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
2017-07-21 17:20:34,573 [main] ERROR [] cam.client.CamClusterConfigurationRequestorJms:96 - A response was not received within the specified response timeout period of 5000 milliseconds

Teradata Employee

It looks like the error message about the missing macro is gone but now you are seeing a slightly different error. I don't have alot of experience with installing DSA, but I believe you should be able to find the log files for DSA under: /var/opt/teradata/dsa/logs . On the Developer Edition the DSA needs to be installed manually, but if you have the Enterprise or Advanced Tier there is an option where you can roll out DSA/DSU with Viewpoint, Teradata, Server management and the whole system where you don't have to do any installation of DSA/DSU. Once it deploys the DSA/DSU is already pre-configured. I would make sure that you carefully followed the DSA/DSU manuals or maybe someone else on the forum who is familar with the install can comment on what the issue might be. You can also search our knowlege base on your error messages and you may find some answers.

Enthusiast

Just reviewing the relevant installation guide for DSU and was hoping that someone could advise which network we should setup for the Broker IP and Port. On the DSU server we have the DSU Lan and the public lan.

I also noticed that there is the following in the hosts file

127.0.01  localhost tdatcop1 dbccop1

127.0.0.2  srvname.domain  srvname

I am trying to setup only using TCP, as I believe this should be simpler than using SSL.

Teradata Employee

'llo,

The usual order of things for DSU;

1. setup & install DSC package on the DSC Repository instance
  2. go to Viewpoint to and add the DSC Repository and Target system
    1. when you "activate" the a system in DSA which will populate SYSBAR.BARCONNECTINFO you will be prompted to restart the DSMAIN on that system to pick up the update

The "broker" in this case is refering to the DSA ActiveMQ instance, any component that needs to talk DSA via ActiveMQ (since you stated TCP, port 61616) will need to be able to resolve this name to the actual server running the ActiveMQ broker instance for DSA.

Not a fan of using other loopback addresses unless I really have to eg. doing port forwarding tricks

ta'

Enthusiast

Hi, thought i would provide an update, though I still cannot activate the system in Viewpoint!

ActiveMQ is running and the broker IP and port are working and I can telnet from all 4 servers

I have got DSMain running on 1 TPA node, but it is still not running on the DSU server, so I am lost as to where to go now.

Cannot enable "127.0.0.1Repository" because: Waiting for discover amps response.

Teradata Employee

FYI, DSMAIN on the target system versus DSMAIN on the DSC are for two different things

ie. since the repository is a Teradata RDBMS instance the DSMAIN on the DSC is to facilitate the backup of the DSC Repository and therefore should be treated like a seperate instance/system

From memory "127.0.0.1Repository" is the (poorly) named default reference to the internal TVME based DSC Repository

ta'

Enthusiast

Finally was able to activate the DSU system, but now if i try to create a new job, I get "No Systems Enabled"

There is nothing in the Install Guide that helps determine what still needs to be done

Teradata Employee

not too sure what/how this is set up, assuming the BAR Commandline package is preinstalled on the DSC if you issue the command "dsc list_components -t system" you should get something similar to the following;

# dsc list_components -t system
Data Stream Controller Command Line 15.11.03.00
Command parameters:
-type : system
Connected to DSC version 15.11.03.00
Listing Components...

System Name           System tdpid   Is Enabled?   Is Repository Backup?   Database Query Method   Streams SoftLimit   Streams HardLimit   Is Jms SSL Enabled?   Is Datapath SSL Enabled?   Skip Force Full?   Disable Message   System Type
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
127.0.0.1Repository   127.0.0.1      Y             Y                       BASE_VIEW               2                   20                  N                     N                          N                                    Teradata

Node Name       Status   Streams SoftLimit   Streams HardLimit   IP Address(es)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
127.0.0.1node   ONLINE   2                   20                  [IP Address]

System Name   System tdpid   Is Enabled?   Is Repository Backup?   Database Query Method   Streams SoftLimit   Streams HardLimit   Is Jms SSL Enabled?   Is Datapath SSL Enabled?   Skip Force Full?   Disable Message   System Type
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[System Name]          [TDPID]         Y             N                       BASE_VIEW               36                  500                 N                     N                          N                                    Teradata

Node Name   Status   Streams SoftLimit   Streams HardLimit   IP Address(es)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Node Name]   ONLINE   36                  500                 [IP Address]
[Node Name]   ONLINE   36                  500                 [IP Address]
[Node Name]   ONLINE   36                  500                 [IP Address]

ie. the section with 127.0.0.1 referencing the DSC Repository and subsequent sections/entries for every target system configured within DSA, will also indicate if the system is activated under DSA.

ta'