"This OVF package uses features that are not supported" error found when read VM template file from ESXi 5.0 host.
Error Message :
This OVF package uses features that are not supported.
The OVF package requires unsupported hardware.
Details: Line 30: Unsupported hardware family 'vmx-10'
This is imcompatible issue between VM image and ESXi host. There are 3 Possible Solution to fix the problem
1. Change Hardware version with OVFTOOL
1) Download latest OVFTool from the link as below.
2) Run the following command. Then you'll get a VMX file
- ovftool <path of .ovf file> <path for converted.vmx file>
3) Edit the Hardware version in VMX file. Change it to a version that is compatible with your Hardware.
4) Save the VMX file.
5) Convert the VMX back to OVF with following command.
- ovftool <path of .vmx file> <path for converted .ovf file>
* After this is done, you can deploy the OVF.
2. Directly edit OVF file to save time extracting/rebuilding with OVFTOOL.
1) Change the line that says "VMX-XX' to read "09" or whatever version works with ESXi 5.0.
2) Then use a hashing utility to calculate the SHA-1 of the edited OVF file and replace the
corresponding SHA-1 hash in the ".mf" file.
3. Import the OVF using Vmware Player that can read the instance and convert it to ESXi 5.0
using Vmware converter
1) Download the free vmware player and install it
2) Open vmplayer and then open your virtual machine (it will start the importing process since its in ova / ovf format
and vm player like workstation uses vmx and vmdk files)
3) Once the import is complted and the relevant vmx and vmdk files have been generated, go forth and download & install
vmware converter (also free)
4) Then open it up and go to "convert machine"
- select source type as "vmware workstation or other vmware virtual machine"
- choose the vmx files that you saved in an earlier step, then type in your esxi host details (ip address, username an password)
5) Now finish the wizard, sit back and see your files being sent and prepared by the host for use.