Getting Internet Access from TD13 SuSe VM Instance

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.
Enthusiast

Getting Internet Access from TD13 SuSe VM Instance

Hello, My question relates more to the VM Instance than to Teradata, but I think this is a topic most would be interested in.
I have got Teradata up and running on the VM Instance but I want to connect to the internet and access shared folders. I notice the instance is setup for NAT Network Connection, but what else is necessary to get internet access ? I'm not sure if it is a VMWare issue, or settings within the guest or host OS. Can I "Ping" the host OS if I am using NAT ?

I am also trying to map to a shared folder on the host OS, but I'm a bit rusty on my Unix SA. I tried to share a Any tips ?

Thanks
8 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Getting Internet Access from TD13 SuSe VM Instance

I've at least answered 1 of my questions - How to map a drive: In VMWare, go to the menu option VM / Settings / Options, and select Shred Folders. Add a host folder.
You can then find this mapped folder within /mnt/hgfs.
Teradata Employee

My understanding is that NAT is about letting the outside (Host OS) see ports on the inside (Guest OS). So in the VMware player (Edit -> Virtual Network Editor -> NAT -> Edit... -> Port Forwarding) you define a Host Port (say 1026) that is mapped through the Virtual Machine IP address to a Guest OS Port (say 1025 for the Teradata Instance). If you then connect say SQL Assistant to 1026 on the Host OS you would actually be connecting to the 1025 port of the Teradata running on the Virtual Machine.

There should be nothing stopping you accessing the outside world from within the Guest OS, except firewalls either on the Host OS or beyond.

NAT goes the other way. It's supposed to get the guest operating system requests passed out to the network using the host IP address, thus allowing the guest to use whatever IP they want. All of my Windows VM images work fine with NAT. The SUSE image does not, as observed above. I assume there is something that needs to be done in the network configuration of the image itself to make it work. Still looking...
Enthusiast

I changed the NIC to BRIDGED. Because I want to use NX Server to connect to the image remotely and use the Eclipse Java Client to connect to the DBS remotely.

The VM-Image Does Not seem to be fully configured. The DHCP Client fails to fully init at boot time, and it does not seem to be ale to correctly pick up the DNS Servers. When I try to update the system configuration It keeps asking me for the SUSE CD Image to update and install MIsssing Components.

I had to manaully configure the DNS Server entries to get outgoing Internet Access working !!!

Why are there Two NICS configured ??

I tried to delete the unused NIC. I could not get it deleted.

I installed Teradata VM successfully and it is working fine.

When i tried to connect with internet using my USB internet stick my host machine does not recognise internet connection and internet is available with Teradata VM.

Problem is here when i tried to bridge the network between host and guest machine, it is not working. Please let me know, if i have to change any settings.

FYI:when i connected through LAN, i am able to bridge the network and can access teradata using my host machine.
Enthusiast

Yes, for bridged mode it is likely that you will need to configure the (virtual) network card for your network.
Teradata Employee

When starting up TDExpress14 VM I had to do the following get internet access.

1. Open terminal

2. command: "ifconfig eth0" - record ip address (ex. 192.168.80.80)

3. command: "netstat -r" record "default" ip address (ex. 192.168.80.2)

4. command: "vi /etc/resolv.conf" (or "cat /etc/resolv.conf" to check what is currently listed)

5. hit "i" - puts vi (virtual editor) into insert mode

6. insert the following

"nameserver 192.168.80.80

namserver 192.168.80.2" 

7. hit "Esc" key

8. hold "Shift" button and press "Z" key twice to save and exit

9. Test if the internet is working correctly

works Perfect