How do I access a VMWare hosted Teradata Express from a local TD Mapping Manager

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.

How do I access a VMWare hosted Teradata Express from a local TD Mapping Manager

I am running Teradata Express 14 running on a vmware hosted Suse Linux operating system.

Thus I have the following layers:

Windows 7 64bit

VMWare Player

Suse Linux

Teradata Express

My laptop has TD Mapping Manager installed on a Windows 7 32 bit system. I want the Mapping Manager repository to be placed in the virtualized Teradata Express database. Thus the Mapping Manager must be configured with an IP address that points to the virtual host on which Teradata is running. I have so far not been able to figure out how this can be done.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

19 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: How do I access a VMWare hosted Teradata Express from a local TD Mapping Manager

Hello,

I too am having TD Mapping Manager/Teradata Client/Teradata 13.10 VM connectivity problems.  I was given the following steps:

1. If you are using TD 14.x, then you will need TTU 14.x. The new TTU tools such as TD Administrator can work with older versions of TD, but there are often problems trying to use an older version of the tool to access newer database versions. See appendix A of the TMM Getting Started guide for instructions on downloading and installing TTU (it mentions 13.10, you just need to download TTU 14.x instead). You should use Add/Remove Programs to remove all TTU 13.10 programs first. Most are named Teradata <toolname>. I think there is also an ODBC 13.10 that should be uninstalled.

If that doesn’t fix your problem, then:

2. Make sure VMware Player has the TD Express machine running, double-click on Gnome Terminal in VMware window to open it, type:

pdestate –a

in the Gnome Terminal window and press Enter.

You should get a status something like:

PDE state is RUN/STARTED.

DBS state is 5: Logons are enabled - The system is quiescent

3. Open TD Admin. You should get a dialog named “Please Select a Data Source”

Select the data source you created in step 3 (default is DEMOTDAT)

Maybe these steps may help....

Enthusiast

Re: How do I access a VMWare hosted Teradata Express from a local TD Mapping Manager

Thanks for the reply..It is really helpful..

Teradata Employee

Hi there. Can you go and expand a bit on this piece of info

"... 3. Open TD Admin. You should get a dialog named “Please Select a Data Source”

Select the data source you created in step 3 (default is DEMOTDAT) ... "

- There is nothing on creating anything in any step 3 in the text above

Teradata Employee

Hi, I've recently joined Teradata and am trying to complete the TD Mapping Manager Course

I've installed TD Express 14:00 on a SUSE Linux VM on my Windows 7 Laptop and I'm trying to install TTU 14 as per instructions in the TMM course.  I can omly navigate to a place where I can install TTU 13.10.

I tried to read a posting from Edmond Ray on 31/12/2012 on this topic but when I clicked on the link I went to a page which said  EEP1 you've strayed to a part of the website you are not allowed into.

ANyway, any help on where I can get the download for TTU 14 for TD Express running on a SUSE Linux VM would be very much appreciated.

Enthusiast

The ip address you use to access the Teradata Database on a VMPlayer Guest LINUX OS (Host was Win 7 in my case) can be obtained through executing the ifconfig command from the LINUX (guest OS where TD DBS runs from) command line (I used Gnome Terminal).  The output will look similar to below:

TDExpress14.0_Sles10:/ # ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:29:BE:A3:59

inet addr:192.168.88.128  Bcast:192.168.88.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:febe:a359/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:644 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:325 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:70783 (69.1 Kb)  TX bytes:32423 (31.6 Kb)                    ........

The line of interest from above starts with " inet addr: inet addr:192.168.88.128"

Enter whatever the ip address that is in the same place as "192.168.88.128" above appears (source value).  That value is to be pasted in the ODBC Administrator  Name(s) or IP address(es) Box (target location).

Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm trying to get the IP of my VMWare Express -13.10

using the "ipconfig eth 0" cmd, but getting follwoing error :

s10-1310:~ # ipconfig eth0

bash: ipconfig: command not found

Plz. guide , if you have encountered/solved it.

Thanks.

Enthusiast

Its resolved by using nslookup :)

Teradata Employee

Hi,

I am a new hire and trying to get mapping manager up and running as I'm doing the TD UNI course WBT45142. After getting VMware and getting the IP address, (192.168.91.128), Im trying to create a new repository as per the course intructions.

After entering the details(ip address etc.) I click on Create Repository and an error comes up:

The following SQL error was encountered while trying to connect to Teradata using information in Tools-> Preferences. You may need to change your preferences in order to avoid this error message on startup.

[TMM.SQL.0030]

Not sure how to resolve it, Thanks for looking and would appreciate your help.

Enthusiast

I resolved this issue for the user when he contacted me using the "TMM, Support" email alias (Teradata employees only), but I did not know the issue was posted here too, as I do not monitor this forum. Non-Teradata-employees should use the Teradata Developer Exchange - Tools forum for support questions (employees can use the email alias above).

For this issue, you must use the IP address for the VMware virtual machine in the Create Repository Database dialog. See earlier in this thread (4 posts up, AndrewSchroter) for instructions to find that IP address.