Is there any way to control the size of the virtual machine for my small laptop disk?

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.
Teradata Employee

Is there any way to control the size of the virtual machine for my small laptop disk?

My laptop only has an 80 GB disk. I want to run the Teradata Express 13.0 Virtual machine, and my laptop meets all of the requirements for this. It's nice that the initial installation size starts out at 10 GB. I can fit that in my laptop. The standard version has a Teradata capacity of 40 GB, starting out with a 2 GB pdisk. That 40 GB has me concerned.

So my question is, how do I control how much space Teradata and the overall VM is going to use? Will it automatically keep growing the pdisk until it gets up to 40 GB? Or will it stay limited to a 2 GB pdisk until I manually change something? I understand all the concepts of Teradata Perm/Spool/Cylinders, etc.

Since I only have an 80 GB disk on my laptop, my goal is to limit the size the overall VM is going to get to somewhere around say 15 - 20 GB max. Is that possible? Minimum perm would be fine by me for what I need to do.

Thanks!
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Is there any way to control the size of the virtual machine for my small laptop disk?

Generally we haven't seen the vm virtual disk's physical size on disks growing much more than the amount of data you have loaded into database. My advice is to
1. periodically check the total perm size you have used and drop any unneeded tables if you are using a lot f space
2. periodically cleans and shrink your virtual OS drives.
Teradata Employee

Re: Is there any way to control the size of the virtual machine for my small laptop disk?

Ok, so you're saying I really do have control here. If it grows too big, I just delete data I don't need in Teradata, and then shrink the virtual OS drives with VMware, and I'll get back down close to where I started in size?
Thanks again.
Teradata Employee

the pdisks don't shrink because they are raw partitions. by deleting unused data, you can make sure it is not bigger than already is. there is no perfect way. OS drives can be shrinked.
Teradata Employee

also, you can define an user with a maximum perm space to sort of set a maximum and load data under that user.
Teradata Employee

Thank you very much. This is really good advice.
Can you help with the following scenario: Let's say I run the standard Teradata Express VMware, starting out with the 2 GB pdisk. And I create a user with max perm at 1 GB and max spool at 1 GB. Can I expect to stay in size at around a 2 GB pdisk if I only use that one user (adding in of course the initial and additional perm space used for DBC and other preconfigured system users).

Any explanation on how and when growth of the pdisk occurs in a VMware configuration? For example, will Teradata reuse the same available cylinders over and over from the initial 2 GB pdisk for spool as I run different queries, or will it keep growing the pdisk with new space?
Enthusiast

Even Im also facing same problem...Please share solution..