Performance issue with Teradata Express for VMware Player

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.

Performance issue with Teradata Express for VMware Player

Hi ALL, I am  new  to Teradata so sorry if my questions seem trivial and obvious for you.

I downloaded and successfully launched Teradata Express for VMware Player 13.10.00.10. I can remotely  connect and run query but the performance of some queries are very, very pure. It takes 5-10 minutes to get a result of a simple select. The same queries return result in seconds when execute against different  Teradata 13.00. To check  that the issue is not network related  I login in the VM using console  and  connected  locally to the teradata using BTEQ and run the following query 

select  top 2 * from dbc.TableSizeVX

where DatabaseName = 'DBC';

It took almost 11 minutes to get the result.

Did not  I miss some configuration steps?

Could someone advise please?

Thanks

Aleksey

5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Performance issue with Teradata Express for VMware Player

That query takes 2 seconds on my 13.10 VM, but it is installed on a fast workstation.  Perhaps your host machine is underpowered.

I see the issue on two different host systems.

One is a  workstation with Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz with 3 GB memory and the second is a designated remote server to host VM images. I don't know the spec of the server but I am sure that they are more than enough. So I don't think the issue is caused by underpowered PC . And I don't see performance issue with Teradata 13.00 that runs on much slower and older PC.

I know this is posting on an older thread.

But did you ever find a solution or root cause of the problem?

I seem to in the same position as the original poster.

That query takes a long time to run for me too.

Teradata Employee

Check if your system is capable enough .... and also VMWare is allowed to use sufficient amount of memory.

Enthusiast

There should be three main reasons easly to rule out :

1. Processor:

Check in Win. Task Manager & Suse system monitor to se whether COU is  always hitting 100% when runnign any operation

>> switching virtualization mode in VM image preferences from [Auto] which is the default to [Intel VT-x/EPT] Helped to mimnimize CPU utilization within Suse [guesr OS] considerably , i don't understand exactly why

2. Memory:

>> make sure you've not allocated less than recommended Mem. requirement for the Image, also disable Swaping on Host system if possible

3. disk

>> you can check if Disk is the bottle nick from the Host OD resource monitoring tool [as Win. Task mamager] where Disk activity is hitting 99% in processes tab ....... go SSD then :)