Running Teradata VMware 12.0 1 TB edition on ESXi

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.
Enthusiast

Running Teradata VMware 12.0 1 TB edition on ESXi

We are successful with installing, running, loading, quering VMware 12.0 on WMware Server 2.0.

Now I would like to run Teradata on VMware ESXi 4.0.

Has anyone does this? Is there a version that runns on ESXi?

Is seems the current version will not run directly on ESXi. We have tries to export from VMware Player, and run on ESX, but no success.

Kael
Tags (3)
12 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Running Teradata VMware 12.0 1 TB edition on ESXi

I will try this later this evening. Has anyone converted their VMware Server/Player instance to a VMware ESX using this product?

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/overview.html
Enthusiast

Were you ever able to get this working? We're going through the same process right now and our infrastructure team is having issues with the converter.
Enthusiast

No. We had to install VMWare Server 2.0 on a standalone server. We could not remove Teradata from the SUSE OS in the package.

I think this is by design right now from Teradata.

Maybe in the future an EXSi version will be available, but that's probably only if Teradata offers it other than just a marketing tool.

Then also disk is expensive in a VMWare configuration, and would you want to put 1TB of data on a VMWare ESXi virtual cluster? Not sure yet I guess.
Enthusiast

Not quite the answer I was hoping for. We're getting an error saying the disk can't be cloned using the converter utility. Does this mirror what you were seeing?
Enthusiast

Yes. That is it.
Enthusiast

Thanks.
Senior Apprentice

Hi, I run the TD12, TD13.0 40GB (not 1TB) systems on ESXi 4.1 with no problems. I simply used the VCenter convertor (standalone version) to convert from a "vmware workstation or other virtual machine" to "VMware infrastructure virtual machine". They all ran without any issues. I then change the network settings to suit my network and everything runs fine.

What I cannot get to work is the TD13.10 (again 40GB version). Most of the time the convertor says that the version information file (vmx/vmxf) contains invalid information or is corrupt. I eventually got it to run using Workstation, exported it from there to an OVA file and "deploy template" using the vSphere client. This appears to work but the machine won't come up cleanly, there are lost of disk errors, filesystems not being mounted etc etc.

Horrible mess.
Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Junior Supporter

I've just installed the TD13.10 SLES on a WinXP with VMware Workstation 6 (where I had been running TD12 SLES) and to my surprise it cried out that the virtual machine was built on a newer VMware product version. I upgraded to Workstation 7.x.x and everything ran fine.

So the problems explained above with the conversion of the TD13.10 SLES Virtual Machine to ESXi could be some version issues aswell.

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.
Enthusiast

Hi Carlos,

I  want to install the TD13.10  SLES on WinXP with VMware  could you please  explaine  what  softwares and hardware  are required   before  the TD13.10  is  install . could you please help me

Thanks

Ram