Slow logons to TD Express, Locally and Remotely.

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.
N/A

Slow logons to TD Express, Locally and Remotely.

I'm getting very slow logons - Very consistently 45 seconds to the TD Instance. I don't think this is the VM Instance, but some client config or hosts/dns issue...

Happens in NAT or Bridged mode. With the Instance IP address in the hosts file, assigning an alias of TD13 and TD13cop1, this occurs if assign the aliases to the Instance IP OR the loopback subnet (127.0.0.2).

Thoughts?

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Slow logons to TD Express, Locally and Remotely.

Nothing like a little research... sigh. A few hints:

First, by default, SSH does a reverse DNS lookup, which can take a long time, particularly if you are not connected to a network... The behavior for this is when it takes 30-45 seconds to get the password prompt.

The Fix is to turn off the DNS lookup... edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config - set the parm "UseDNS no" then restart sshd (or the instance)

That fixes the ssh logon. Now for the BTEQ logon... which is to remember to set an Environmental Variable for each system you want connect to with the number of cop entires. In my case: export TD13=1

Now at least I'm productive.
Teradata Employee

Re: Slow logons to TD Express, Locally and Remotely.

Good find.