TD Express on MacBook Pro

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.
Q_
Enthusiast

TD Express on MacBook Pro

I got TD13 Express 1TB running in VMWare under Snow Leopard. Connect great with local linux utilities (bteq, tpt, etc...) Does anyone know how to external clients to connect into my VMWare instance via IP? Or is it forever a local sandbox? It must be a VMWare setting???

Thanks
Tags (3)
12 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: TD Express on MacBook Pro

How did you setup the networking?

Host only: Only your Mac can access the virtual machine.
NAT: You have to define port forwarding (port 1025 for Teradata, some other for Teradata Manager Server) to be able to access it.
Bridget: This is the easiest way, your vm gets its own ip-address and is just like any other computer within your network

Dieter

I'm using a wireless connection from my MacBook Pro to the Internet. The wireless security keys are working great from the Mac, but when I start the Suse Linux I am getting DHCP errors about the VM acquiring a new IP address. (I tried bridging to do this). Does the VMWare instantance get the DHCP token address from the wireless router ?
Teradata Employee

I think VM cannot work with bridged mode and wireless together because a security specification in 802.11 protocol says that a wireless adapter cannot send packets with a different MAC address than the wireless card's.
Senior Apprentice

I just tried the 40GB TD13 image and i don't have any problems getting a second IP-address over a WAP2 protected WLAN.
Maybe it depends on some router settings.

Dieter
Teradata Employee

Hi Q,
I also wanted to do this, but in Windows. I have TD Express 13 (1GB) running in a 64bit SUSE VMware machine. I have the Utility Pak tools in XP running against this Teradata instance nicely e.g. SQL Assistant. I got it to work very simply: Use the defaults when installing VMware and installing/starting TD Express ("NAT" is its default for the network adaptor I notice - keep this setting). In your host OS (Windows for me) go to your "VMware Infrastructure Web Access" web page where your TD Express machine is marked as running. Click the Summary tab. In the Status box on the right you will see "Power State, Guest OS, Virtual Hardware Version, blah, IP 192.168.245.128" or some such IP address. This is the IP address you need when you create an ODBC datasource in your host OS. No port number or anything else is required - just accept the defaults. Test by firing-up Teradata SQL Assistant for example and use the ODBC datasource you just created. Hope that helps.
N/A

Hi Gurus,

Can some one please tell me as to how can I install Teradata Express on Mac OS X.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Mousam

Hi Gurus,

I have the same question with Mousam on how to install Teradata Express on MAC OS X.

Appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Alvin

Hi Gurus,

I have the same question with Mousam on how to install Teradata Express on MAC OS X.

Appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Alvin

Enthusiast

I am not a MAC user, but I suppose the first thing you need to do is purchase & install VMWare Fusion.  See the VMWare web site for purchase and download info.  Fusion is functionally similar to VMWare Player, but it is tailored for the MAC OS host platform.  Unlike the VMWare Player product, Fusion is not free, but it is still relatively inexpensive (US$ 50 during the current promotion).