Teradata 12 1 TB VM in vSphere 4.0

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.
Enthusiast

Teradata 12 1 TB VM in vSphere 4.0

We've run into a snag trying to import the Teradata 12 1 TB VM into our enterprise vSphere 4.0 VMWare environment. When we import the VM as is, it shows in the list as sles10 (invalid) and cannot be used. We then ran it through the conversion utility that VMWare provides while converting to thin disks (as we don't have 1TB of disk available right now). This failed at 56% with a non-descript error. We re-ran the conversion and it failed again at roughly the same point.

So my question is this. Has anyone successfully gotten one of the Teradata VMs running in a vSphere environment? What hoops did you have to jump through to get it done?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata 12 1 TB VM in vSphere 4.0

As far as I am aware, Teradata Express for VMWare cannot run on vSphere or ESXi. It is compatible only with VMWare's Workstation, Player, and standalone Server products.

The main question is - are you teradata customer? If you are and have regular teradata linux version, just download from teradata@your service tdbms patchset equivalent to Teradata Express for VMWare version, copy vconfig executable to say Teradata 12 40GB, edit vconfig.txt, rebuild and change disk size as you wish. We doing this a lot to save time for new test environment installation and running both teradata express 12 and 13
on VMWare ESXi servers without issues.
Senior Apprentice

The machines will run in ESXi. I'm currently running the 12.0 and 13.0 40GB vm's inside ESXi (4.1 update 1) with no problems.

I cannot get the 13.10 vm to run though. All sorts of errors and problems. See the other topic very like this one for more details.
Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com