Alternative to Teradata Studio

Teradata Studio

Alternative to Teradata Studio

Teradata is without a shadow of a doubt, the worst database client software available, it is slow, clunky, crashes frequently, and if a connection to a database drops, it ends up in an endless loop of "connection lost" errors that can only be termiated by force-quitting the entire program, loosing valuable work.

Are there any other client (or third party tools) available to end the pain of using Studio?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Alternative to Teradata Studio

Alistair, What version of Teradata Studio are you using? What database(s) are you connecting to? What types of things are you doing when the connection is lost or it crashes?

Hi

It's the latest version (15.10.01.00), our DBA has implemented rules that close connections after 15 minutes of inactivity, which given testing is easy to reach, so I'll do some DB updates in Studio, then switch to the web app to test the results.

If I'm in studio doing a simple lookup using SQL Editor, I'll get an error message, which I can close, then re-connect and if I've saved my SQL, simply continue.

If however, I'm editing data, I'll first get a (massive) Java error, then a small modal appears with "Unable to access data: [Error Code: 1095, SQL State: HY000] Cannot call a method on a closed connection" - not unreasonable in itself, however, clicking OK to close the error simply reproduces the popup, which ends up in an eternal loop, the only way to close is to force quit the whole program.

When I re-open Studio, I'll also get a load of tab's opening automatically containing the message "No editor descriptor for id org.eclipse.ui.internal.emptyEditorTab".

I appreciate that our DBA's rules are there for a purpose, but an IDE that fails gracefully would be appreciated!

Thanks

Alistair

Teradata Employee

Alistair, We are making improvements to our connection management framework. Auto-reconnect is something we are working on next. We hope to have this completed in our next release. 

Teradata Employee

SQL Assistant 16.0 has automatic reconnection to the database - intended for a lost connection due to a network issue, or to the database going down, but it should also work for a session that was cancelled on the database.

It also has a 'ReConnect' menu which will perform cleanup and then issue a new logon for those times you already know your connection will have expired, and an 'Abort' menu you can use to tell it to stop trying to re-connect if it is taking too long.

Note that the automatic reconnect option (which will continue where it left off if there was a connection interuption - but not if the session was canceled) is only available when using Teradata.Net - not for ODBC - and requires you to set the advanced connection option 'Recovery Mode' to 'Redrive'.

Enthusiast

Is there still a SQL Assistant 16.00 available? Just read about TTU 16.00 that SQL Assistant is discontinued.

With every new version I've tried Studio as that is the future tool, but every time I go back to SQL Assistant. It works faster, the interface is not cluttered. Opening a SQL sheet for some reason is already a challenge for some reason. Sorry fgrimmer... I really really try it every time and I will keep trying with 16.00.

Studio I only use to quickly load some external data into a table, which is a challenge. No feedback on errors.

Teradata Employee

Yes SQL Assistant 16.0 does exist in the TTU 16.0 packages.

The discontinuation notice indicates that it will not be included in 16.10.