Changing TMODE from ANSI to TERA after connection created

Teradata Studio

Changing TMODE from ANSI to TERA after connection created

Hey all, love this forum, it's helped me so much.  Using Mac, one of very few using studio (others are using SQL assistant) so I'm kind of pioneering on my own as an early adopter.  I saw another thread where someone realized ANSI was causing their code to be case sensitive, but I really didn't understand the answer.  I need to get TMODE out of ANSI and to whatever the normal one is (I think I've seen it referred to as TERA?).  

So lets start there and see what it fixes, may have some followups based on my experiences today (i.e. it doesn't like any of my old scripts where I had created an alias for a field name, etc...  gives me the parsing error).  It also rigidly demands a semicolon at the end of even the most basic of statements :)

Thanks in advance everyone.  Have an awesome day.

4 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Changing TMODE from ANSI to TERA after connection created

The "normal" mode is the one used at your company :-)

Changing the transaction mode should not result in any parsing error, only the transaction semantics and some defaults will change. The differences are shown here:

http://www.info.teradata.com/HTMLPubs/DB_TTU_14_00/index.html#page/SQL_Reference/B035_1142_111A/ch09...

The semicolon is always needed at the end of a SQL statement, SQL Assistant just automatically adds the final one if it's missing.

Thanks man, great points, and it's cool to see the differences between ansi and teradata mode so clearly displayed like that :)

So is there an easy way to get form ANSI to Teradata mode?  I'm 95% sure that's the mode I will want to operate in, and was hoping I could easily just get to the setting in teradata studio and change it.  

Thanks for the help!

Junior Contributor

The session mode must be set in the connection string, in Teradata Studio you add TMODE=TERA in the connection properties.

got it, I'm good to go, thanks a bunch for the help.