Code Assist functionality questions

Teradata Studio
Teradata Employee

Code Assist functionality questions

I have been asked a number of questions about Code Assist, and wanted to know if anyone knows of any additional insight into its functionality before I respond with the results of my testing:

1. Does the user have to code "DatabaseName." to get a list of tables?

- from my testing the answer is Yes apart from tables in the default schema

2. Does the user have to code "DatabaseName.TableName" to get a list of Columns?

- from my testing the answer is Yes

3. Can alisas be used to get a list of Columns?

- from my testing the answer is No

4. Can the Code Assist dropdown list of functions be edited? (e.g. to remove the less performant functions such as LENGTH )

5. Also, is there a way of disabling the Run in Background button when a query is being run?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Code Assist functionality questions

Greg, You are correct in your answers (1, 2, 3). As you have discovered, the code assist is trigger by a pause or Ctrl+SPACE or when entering a 'dot' on a SQL object in your SQL statement. The list of syntax words is generated internally from three places: 1) the grammar returns the list of 'next' words 2) the scope for the SQL object you have entered the 'dot' at and 3) the list of templates supplied for Teradata, Aster, or Hadoop, if entered Ctrl+SPACE at the beginning of the statement. 

Question 4) Can the list be edited? No, not currently.

Question 5) Yes. This is in your preferences. Bring up the Preferences dialog (Window>Preferences). If you enter the work 'background' in the search field the General page is provided. Click on that page and there is a checkbox 'Always run in background' that you can uncheck.

Teradata Employee

Many Thanks for this Francine.

In regards to Question 5, unchecking 'Always run in Background' just seems to stop this automatically running in the backgorund. The question I had was whether there was the ability to disable the "Run in Background" option that appears in the SQL select execution display that pops up when the query is running (and also allows you to cancel the query). This would be to prevent users to ever being able to run queries in the background.

Teradata Employee

Nothing currently to stop it. But we are working on a new Query Manager and I think it will change this behavior.

Fan

Hi,

I have some problem with code completion, when writting database. i'm not getting a list of table. Is it working on teradata studio express v15.11 ?

Thanks a lot,

Dan

Teradata Employee

There is a menu option in the top level SQL Mmenu to toggle on Code Assist Autoactivation. It may be untoggled.

Enthusiast

Hi Francine,

Me and my team are starting to use teradata.

We are using DB v15.10.4.01

Some use studio 16, others studio 15.

On studio 16, code assist is not working (sql -> code activated. Also activated in preferences)

On Studio 15, is working just for table names, not columns.

I'm guessing this essential feature is well implemented bu Teradata, but perhaps is not working because of a problem in the model chema of our implmentation? what should I ask my TI crew to look for?

Thanks