Creating SQL Model Connection Error

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Creating SQL Model Connection Error

Hi all,

I'm using Teradata Studio Express on Mac OS Sierra.

I'm trying to create a new database connection (using the Embedded JDBC Driver), but am getting the following error:

Could not connect to Teradata.

Error creating SQL Model Connection connection to Teradata. (Error: Cannot make connection.)

Cannot make connection.

A few things make this bizarre - the exact same settings worked a few hours ago (or at least as far as I'm aware they're the same!), but now I'm not even able to ping the server via the Test Connection ("Ping failed!")

Also, when I use the teradata python package (which uses an ODBC connection), I can connect and query without any problems, which suggests to me that it's not an issue with permissions/proxies etc.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES
Junior Supporter

Re: Creating SQL Model Connection Error

These types of errors are frustrating, even more frustrating when, all of a sudden, stuff starts working again.

This is a real shot in the dark, but, was any software updated between when it worked and when it didn't?  

FYI, I'm running Sierra and Studio and have no problems with JDBC connecting to various virtual machines.

Enthusiast

Tell me about it! I was away from my computer for a bit of that time, but AFAIK everything is identical. After a bit more testing today - everything works absolutely fine with my Windows machine (Teradata Studio Express again). 

Junior Supporter

Gremlins. 

Enthusiast

Sorely tempted to accept that as the answer!! Good chuckle for a Friday afternoon!

Teradata Employee

What version of Studio Express are you running? We have fixed a connection issue in this area in our 15.12 version.

Teradata Employee

Also seen a selection issue on initial startup. If you have multiple connection profiles, selecting another from the drop down list then back to one you want seems to resolve the issue too. 

Enthusiast

Using 15.12.

Thanks for the suggestion of selecting other profiles, but still no joy.

Teradata Employee

We are trying to determine if this is the same issue we are seeing on initial startup with an clean workspace, then one is created but selection in the SQL Editor is failing. If you create the connection profile and exit Studio. Then restart Studio and connect the connection profile and in the SQL Editor select that connection profile for the editor, can you execute SQL?

Enthusiast

Creating a new profile and restarting makes no difference - I'm still not able to ping the server from within Studio Express (although I can using both the ping and telnet programs from the command line).