Data Source Explorer gives error on getting view's column list

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Data Source Explorer gives error on getting view's column list

Hi

Have noticed that users trying to get a view's column list, get the "user access rights exception" error which say's:

"This exception often occurs when the user has restricted access to the Data Dictionary 'X' or 'VX' views.

In this circumstance, setting the Teradata Datatools Preferences to use the ViewX or ViewVX might allow this operation to complete."

I have checked the Teradata Datatools Preferences, and they are set to V views.  For preferences list, there are some DBC views, but it also mentions ViewV, however this is not a DBC view, so not sure where this is.

We have set PUBLIC to have access to the DBC.*V views.

I have tried setting the preferences to the VX setting, and granting all the DBC.*VX views to the user, and the error still appears.

Can anybody please advise how to resolve this error.

We are using Studio 16.10 and Teradata database 15.0

Cheers

Steven

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Data Source Explorer gives error on getting view's column list

To get the columns for a view and you want to get the column data types, Studio will execute a prepared statement (SELECT * from <view>) and get the resultset metadata with the column information. If you don't want to load the column data type (uncheck the option in the Data Source Explorer Load Preference page), Studio will query the DBC.ColumnsV or DBC.ColumnsVX to just get the column names. Is the access right exception on the View itselft or on the DBC.ColumnsV/VX view? The Datatools Preference allows you to check the box to use the DBC.ColumnsVX view. I think you have tried that. Can you try unchecking the option to 'Load View Columns Data Types' and see if that helps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

To get the columns for a view and you want to get the column data types, Studio will execute a prepared statement (SELECT * from <view>) and get the resultset metadata with the column information. If you don't want to load the column data type (uncheck the option in the Data Source Explorer Load Preference page), Studio will query the DBC.ColumnsV or DBC.ColumnsVX to just get the column names. Is the access right exception on the View itselft or on the DBC.ColumnsV/VX view? The Datatools Preference allows you to check the box to use the DBC.ColumnsVX view. I think you have tried that. Can you try unchecking the option to 'Load View Columns Data Types' and see if that helps.

Enthusiast

Thanks Francine, unchecking the option "Load View columns data types" fixed the problem. Perhaps the error message could be updated, since you need access to the object to view the column data types, but only dictionary access to see the colum names.. Cheers Steven