Data Transfer Wizard issues on Teradata Studio - Quick Scan feature (Smart Load)

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Data Transfer Wizard issues on Teradata Studio - Quick Scan feature (Smart Load)

Hello, I am using Studio 16.20.00.00 and facing some issues on the Data Transfer Wizard, using the source type External File (Smart Load). 

While trying to transfer some delimited text files using the Quick Scan feature and saving time avoiding to write my own CREATE TABLE statement, I have noticed that many numeric values are interpreted as strings/char sequences and the wizard GUI does not let me change to a numeric datatype.

My settings are:

System Locale (Windows Control Panel) > Clock, Language, and Region > Change Location > Administrative > Current Language: Portuguese (Brazil)

"Use System Locale" checkbox is set

Column delimiter: Semicolon

Character String Delimiter: None

Line Separator: Windows OS

File Encoding: Cp1252

"Quick Scan" is set.

Here is a data sample. As you may notice, we have two numeric fields with digital point separator - values 1981,10 and 89,11. The are standard separators accordying to my regional settings.

67925332;91216599;394;1238613443;00000000000;;36;20070907;20100907;;98;1981,10;89,11;503869015 ;

The issue relies that the Smart Load Wizard detects these two fields as varchar(8) and varchar(6) respectively. The options when clicking on the "..." button (Colum Type Dialog) are only CHARACTER, VARCHAR, CHARACTER LARGE OBJETO, JSON, BINARY LARGE OBJECT and XML.

For me, the Smart Load Feature is not aware that some numeric fields may contain values with no digital grouping separator ("." in my region) BUT WITH digital/decimal point separator.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an workaround?

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Data Transfer Wizard issues on Teradata Studio - Quick Scan feature (Smart Load)

Hi,

Data Loader wizard does not provide any functionality to remove trailing spaces.

Could you please try to remove the space manually and check if the data type is correct.

Please let us know the result

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
17 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Data Transfewr Wizard issues on Teradata Studio - Quick Scan feature (Smart Load)

Another thing: the "Use System Locale" checkbox has some text following it that I assume is the detected locale.

"Date M/d/yy; Timestamp: M/d/yy h:mm:ss.S; Digit grouping symbol: ","; Decimal symbol: ".".

This settings clearly are not the system locale settings! I guess Teradata Studion is not detecting them right.

I tried pushing the following values into the TeradataStudion.ini file, but this did not work either - detected Locale sample text still wrong:

-Duser.country=BR
-Duser.language=pt
-Duser.region=BR

I event checked the Help > About Teradata Studio > Installation Details > Configuration dialog box. The above -D settings are there.

Teradata Employee

Re: Data Transfewr Wizard issues on Teradata Studio - Quick Scan feature (Smart Load)

Studio uses the JRE to detect the System Locale value, which is displayed in Smart Loader. Not sure if it will help to restart Studio or if changes made to Locale and restart OS?

Enthusiast

Hi, here is the sample output of a java program that gathers the Locale info:

Locale1.jpg

In the same prompt after I start TeradataStudio.exe (ver. 16.20.00.01).

Locale2.jpg

The Teradata Studio User Guide states: "Select Use System Locale to use the formatting for date, timestamp, digit grouping symbol, and decimal symbol based on the country and language setting for your operating system. A preview of the format is displayed."

The preview format is wrong. I suspect there is something on Teradata Studio.

Teradata Employee

@HSeganfredo wrote:

Hi, here is the sample output of a java program that gathers the Locale info:

Locale1.jpg

In the same prompt after I start TeradataStudio.exe (ver. 16.20.00.01).

Locale2.jpg

The Teradata Studio User Guide states: "Select Use System Locale to use the formatting for date, timestamp, digit grouping symbol, and decimal symbol based on the country and language setting for your operating system. A preview of the format is displayed."

The preview format is wrong. I suspect there is something on Teradata Studio.

The provide screeenshot does not contain Use System Locale checked.

Also Could you please make sure that columns data value does not contain any spaces.

Please check with Use System Locale checked and let us know the result.

Enthusiast

transfer1.jpgtransfer2.jpg

Enthusiast

Here is a sample of my data:

67925332;91216599;394;1238613443;00000000000;;36;20070907;20100907;;98;1981,10;89,11;503869015           ;

There are only blank spaces in the last column. All columns have delimiters. No string delimiters where set.

As you can see above. Selecting SYSTEM LOCALE does not change the provided sample. Also, even checked the provided quick scan sample suggests a varchar for the CREATE statement, what is totally off.

Teradata Employee

I checked by changing the format to Germany and it is working fine.Capture2.PNG

But when I tried with Portuguese it is not working. 

May be there is some issue with Portugese locale from Studio side.

Enthusiast

There is clerly a problem within Teradata Studio. I did compile sample Java progrmas dealing with the locale and they are showing all displayed data fine.

Teradata Employee

Yes. It seems to issue with studio. We opened JIRA IDE-21786 for this. Will fix this.