Database structure in Teratada Studio

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Database structure in Teratada Studio

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new into the Teradata World and I want to know where I can find documentation about the structure of the teradata databases. I come from the Microsoft world when you have a server name -> database name -> schemas -> tables/views/sp's etc

By Teradata, there is a hierarchical structure I am not able to understand at the moment.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Paul Hernandez

Accepted Solutions
Junior Supporter

Re: Database structure in Teratada Studio

This document can be pretty overwhelming for the beginner.  As an alternative, there is a book available on Amazon, A Slackers Guide to Teradata Fundamentals and Other Myths.  I have not read the book, but I looked at a few excerpts and it may get you going.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES
rjg
Supporter

Junior Supporter

This document can be pretty overwhelming for the beginner.  As an alternative, there is a book available on Amazon, A Slackers Guide to Teradata Fundamentals and Other Myths.  I have not read the book, but I looked at a few excerpts and it may get you going.

Teradata Employee

Paul,

You can find Teradata documentation on the Information Products web site at http://www.info.teradata.com/

Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your comments, unfortunately it seems like I can only mark one of them as the solution. 

I will have a deep dive into the official documentation and the recommended book seems to be good.

Kind regards, 

Paul Hernandez

Teradata Employee

Some points that might help understand databases in Teradata:

There is not a concept of schemas in Teradata. The best way to thing about databases is to think of them the same as folders in an OS file system. Each database may contain databases just like folders can contain folders. The database DBC is the root folder of the hierarchy. At the beginning DBC contains all available space. When a new database is created, the space quota allocated to that database is deducted from the space quota of the immediately containing database.

A User in Teradata is a database with a password. A user is defined where desired in the overall hierarchy of databases.

There are no boundaries between databases as there are with schemas in some systems. A single query or DML operation can access tables from an arbitrary number of databases in arbitrary points in the hierarchy as long as proper access rights have been granted.

It is recommended that a database defined directly from DBC to contain the hierarchy of databases for user and application tables to be stored rather than creating users and databases directly below DBC.