Execute Multiple Statements with a Teradata Aster 6.0 Database

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Execute Multiple Statements with a Teradata Aster 6.0 Database

When connecting to an Aster 6.0 database with Teradata Studio 15.00.02 the option to execute multiple statements is not present.

If you connect to a Teradata database it exists.

In our scenario we have 2 SQL statements. The first one is designed to fail and we want the second statement to execute anyway. On Aster it doesn't and on a Teradata database it does. The SQL are specific to each database environment.

Is it possible to enable this feature for an Aster database? It used to exist in the 14.00.00 version.

4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Execute Multiple Statements with a Teradata Aster 6.0 Database

Are you executing DDL statements or SELECT queries? Are you doing transactions with manual commits?

The Execute All option for Teradata allows you to send mulitple statements to Teradata. The option is not provided for Aster because according to Aster JDBC documentation: "In the Statement object, you must pass a single query, not multiple queries strung together with semicolons." With Teradata, the Execute All returns a group of result sets.

With Aster, you can still have multiple queries in the SQL Editor and Execute as Individual Statements. If the first one fails, it will prompt you to continue.

Enthusiast

They are multiple select statements. The example that was shown to me didn't receive a prompt after the first statement failed. Is there a configuration item that we missed?

Teradata Employee

John, I realized that the last statement about allowing you to continue is something that was fixed in our 15.10 release. In 15.10, we have added an Aster parser which gives us the ability to split the SQL text into multiple statements. Studio 15.10 is planned for release by the end of April.

Enthusiast

OK, that is what we need.

15.00.02 does prompt you for the failure, but it won't continue.

I had the user confirm that.