How Do You Create A Teradata Database?

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

How Do You Create A Teradata Database?

I downloaded Teradata Studio Express 14.00. I run it through VMware on a 64 bit machine. Although its setup I can't seem to find and connect to a Teradata database. Is there a database downloaded with the package. I got this out of td-ttu-14.10-for_windows.zip. I have to say the VM is very clunky and slow. I miss the old TD 12.00 version. Faster without the complexity.

31 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: How Do You Create A Teradata Database?

Teradata Express is the database VM. Teradata Studio [Express] is the newer multi-platform Eclipse-based client tool. The TTU package contains the drivers, utilities, and "legacy" client tools for Windows. Those are three separate downloads.

Enthusiast

OK. So I have Teradata Studio Express 14.10 set up and running and I can see the legacy tools. I can also see the 64 bit driver icons so their downloaded. It would seem I have everything.  So how do I create a test teradata database and a test table? Also how do I connect Teradata SQL assist to the database?

Teradata Employee

@newb1, Bring up Teradata Studio Express and start by creating a connection profile to your Teradata Express system. You can create a database by running the CREATE DATABASE DDL commands. Refer to the Teradata documenation on the syntax for the SQL DDL commands. If you download and install Teradata Studio, an administrative tool (available on the Download site), it contains dialogs to help you create databases and tables. 

SQL Assistant is a Windows only product that uses ODBC or .NET to connect to Teradata. 

Enthusiast

Could not connect to New Teradata Database.
Error creating SQL Model Connection connection to New Teradata Database. (Error: [Teradata JDBC Driver] [TeraJDBC 14.00.00.01] [Error 1000] [SQLState 08S01] Login failure for Connection to testDatabase Sat Jul 12 07:05:16 EDT 2014 socket orig=testDatabase cid=6dffeaea sess=0 java.net.UnknownHostException: testDatabase  at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method)  at java.net.InetAddress$1.lookupAllHostAddr(Unknown Source)  at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressFromNameService(Unknown Source)  at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)  at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)  at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF$Lookup.<init>(TDNetworkIOIF.java:182)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.connectToHost(TDNetworkIOIF.java:281)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.createSocketConnection(TDNetworkIOIF.java:130)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.<init>(TDNetworkIOIF.java:116)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.getIO(TDSession.java:579)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericLogonController.run(GenericLogonController.java:94)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.<init>(TDSession.java:208)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6_SQL_Connection.<init>(JDK6_SQL_Connection.java:30)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6ConnectionFactory.constructConnection(JDK6ConnectionFactory.java:22)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:130)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:120)  at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.doConnect(TeraDriver.java:220)  at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.connect(TeraDriver.java:153)  at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.makeConnection(TeradataJD

Hi still not able to establish connection to a teradata database throught Studio Express.

Teradata Employee

The important part of the exception message is: UnknownHostException: testDatabase

which means that you specified "testDatabase" as your Teradata Database hostname, which is not correct.

Instead, you must specify the actual DNS hostname of your Teradata Database.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Is there a well written guide to creating a teradata database and a connection through Teradata Studio Express ? I'm getting more confused. It shouldn't be this difficult to create a database and connect to it. I'm really beginning to dislike Teradata Studio Express and the vitual machine approach! Its not very intuitive!

Teradata Employee

@newb1, Do you have Teradata Express (the Teradata VM) up and running with the Teradata Database up? Teradata Express has Teradata Studio Express installed inside the VM. Can you bring up Teradata Studio Express inside the VM?

Enthusiast

Hi All,

I have created Teradata Studio Express 15.0. But I am finding it difficult to create a connection profile. Can you please help

Teradata Employee

The steps are described in the Studio Express article , http://developer.teradata.com/tools/articles/teradata-studio-express. Let us know if you are still having problems.