Moving cursor around in large SQL Editor files is sluggish

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Moving cursor around in large SQL Editor files is sluggish

I've been having a problem when working with my large SQL files in Teradata Studio. It seems that when the file contains a lot of text, especially when it flows off the screen to the right, the cursor is very slow to react and if you hold the cursor down to move several characters it will jump a few or many characters. This makes it somewhat difficult to develop in an environment where there are several large SQL files being worked in a solution. Thoughts?

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Moving cursor around in large SQL Editor files is sluggish

Well, I gave Teradata Studio the college try, but this is the straw that breaks the camel's back. I'm going back to Queryman, er, SQL Assistant. 

Teradata Employee

David, I have a large SQL text file that has lines that extend but do not see a slow down. Do you have Code Assist Autoactivation on? Does it help to turn it off?

Enthusiast

I turned Code Assist Autoactivation off almost immediately. I also turned off Enable Syntax Validation and set the undo history size to 20. No luck.

Teradata Employee

David, How many lines are in your SQL file? Does it happen only for large SQL files or any SQL file? What Operating System are you running on?

Enthusiast

Just opened Studio this morning, went straight to the file that was giving me problems yesterday and it is already slow. There are 101 lines, with a couple of lines being over 3k chars in width (COMPRESS statements).

I am running Win 7 Pro 64 w/Intel i5 and 8 gigs of RAM. Note that I can open the same file in Notepad++ and never experience a problem.  

Enthusiast

I think it might have to do with the syntax coloring. The cursor in a script for a create table with a lot of compress statements runs sluggish until I comment it out. Then it speeds up. 

Teradata Employee

We'll take a look. Thanks.

Teradata Employee

I am having similar issue.  Everytime when it is slower, I have to close the window and opent it again. Very annoying 

Teradata Employee

@yuepeng, Curious if you also have compress statements is the slow SQL and code assist autoactivation turned off?