Newly created tables not showing in Data Source Explorer (even after refresh)

Teradata Studio

Newly created tables not showing in Data Source Explorer (even after refresh)

I'm using Teradata Studio 15 and it seems like all previously existing schemas and tables are loading in the Data Source Explorer just fine but I'm not able to find tables that I've recently created myself. I've tried creating the table in Teradata SQL Assistant and in Teradata Studio using both SQL and the create table button then refreshed the schema but it doesn't show up in the tables folder. I'm able to query the table (with zero records) and also if I view the database in Object Viewer the table won't show in the Tables tab but it is listed in the Space Use tab and the Type column says "Table".

So I can find the table in the Space Use tab but clicking or right-clicking there doesn't give any options. My goal is to load data into this table from a text file my questions are: 1) how do I get this table to show in the Data Source Explore? and 2) is it possible to launch the Data Transfer Wizard jsut by giving the data name even if it doesn't show in the explorer?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Newly created tables not showing in Data Source Explorer (even after refresh)

John, Is it possible that the table is being filtered out via a DSE Filter on the Tables folder? If the Tables folder is filtered, it should be annotated as [Filtered]. Or, is it a Volatile Table? Are you using caching, where you have cached that database?

Are there any error messages in the logs (.log or teradata.log)? The logs are located in your workspace directory.

Re: Newly created tables not showing in Data Source Explorer (even after refresh)

Thank you for the response, you helped point me in the right direction. I just noticed the icon for this particular database (and a few others) was different in the Data Source Explorer so I right-clicked and chose Refesh Database Cache (instead of Refresh like I had been doing previously) and I now see the tables I created. 

Is it possible, or even advisable, to turn off caching? I guess it doesn't matter as long as I know that I need to refresh the cache to find new tables, I'm just curious if there are any real impacts. 

Teradata Employee

John, The cache saves time in loading database objects into Studio's SQL Object model in that it stores the metadata on disk instead of going out to the Data Dictionary on the database server. But if the table definitions are changing frequently, caching may not be a good idea. 

Hi fgrimmer

I'm running into the same issue as John on Teradata Studio but I'm trying to locate a Volatile Table I've created in order to load data into it from a text file. I also don't get an option to 'refresh database cache' when I click on any of the objects in Data Source Explorer, which seemed to be the answer to John's issue. When I try to search for the Volatile Table in my database through Right Click > Teradata>Find Objects this also doesn't locate it. 

Let me know if I can provide any more context- really appreciate any steer.

Junior Contributor

There's no metadata information about Volatile Tables stored in dbc, as it's session local.

Submit HELP VOLATILE TABLE; to get a list of VTs and SHOW TABLE myVT; to get the DDL.

Thanks dnoeth for the quick reply- makes sense that I can't see them, but I still don't understand how to do the import from txt file into my VT like I was able to in SQL Assistant? Sorry if this is very simplistic but I'm new to Studio. Have run both the HELP VOLATILE TABLE and SHOW TABLE myVT to see the details of my table but how do I get to the Load Data Wizard window if I can't see my VT in the dbc view?

Again, really appreciate the help.

Teradata Employee

Studio version 15.11 has added an option to the Teradata SQL Editor to Import Data to a Volatile Table. You will need to enter the DDL for your CREATE VOLATILE TABLE and execute the statement. Then press the "Import" button on the Teradata SQL Editor toolbar to invoke the Load Data wizard.