Number of result rows limited to max row llimit

Teradata Studio
Teradata Employee

Number of result rows limited to max row llimit

Hello

My customer encounterd a problem with Teradata Studio.

The number of rows in history shows only a value of 2'000 even if there are more than 2000 rows in the answerset.

I cross-checked his preferences with my installation (which has the correct behaviour) and we do not see any differences.

Do you have any hints?

Regards

Markus

6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Number of result rows limited to max row llimit

Markus, There is a Result Set Viewer Preference 'Max Display Row Count' that is set to 2000. When you execute a query that contains more than 2000 rows, it will pop up a dialog that asks if you want to cancel at the limit or not. Answer 'No' to bypass the 2000 row limit. You can also increase the limit prior to running the query.

Teradata Employee

Hi Francine

I know this. It is the same as in SQL Assistant.

But: The problem ist that the number of rows displayed in the history window is 2000.

On my installation it is displayed the real number of rows in the answerset (even if I cancel at the limit), but the customers pc display 2000.

Any other hint?

Regards

Teradata Employee

Markus, I think I know what you are referring to. Do you have the same version of Studio as the customer? In Studio 14.10.01 a performance issue was discovered when fetching the row count for a result set from the JDBC driver when the table was very large. The only way to get around the problem was to not request the row count and instead only get the number of rows requested. The Row Count value in the history should show only show the number of rows displayed in the result set viewer, 2000 if you entered 'yes' to cancel at the limit. In previous versions of Studio, you would see the actual row count for the table. If you are wanting to get the row count for a table, you can use the Row Count menu option when you select a table in the Data Source Explorer.

Teradata Employee

Hi Francoune

Thank you for the response. Unfortunatels the table row count does not help, because we need the number of rows in a query.

But in this case we accept this weakness and use Teradata SQL Assistant.

Best regards

Markus

N/A

I just had a similar issue, but it transpires my query was trying to return 3.3 billion rows.... oops!

So it seems the background rowcount failed with numeric overflow, but the query continued to completion.

SQL Assistant reported the only number available that being the number of rows I accepted back to the GUI.

Regards

David

Teradata Employee

An update on this issue. There is an change put in the JDBC driver that will allow Studio to retrieve the row count, even for very large result sets. Studio will put back the row count value in the message displayed, when the max display row count is reached. The fix is planned for Studio 16.00, which is scheduled for end of year.