Open .sql File, missing SQL Editor Toolbar & Buttons

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Open .sql File, missing SQL Editor Toolbar & Buttons

Teradata Studio

Version: 15.00.02.201411070658

Windows 7 Enterprise

------------------------

After saving my query to a .sql file I closed the SQL Editor window and Teradata Studio. When reopening TS I opened the .sql file by clicking File > Open File and browsing to the saved location. After the file loaded, the "Connection Profile" section has changed to include multiple dropdowns ("Type", "Name", and "Database") and the SQL Editor icons are missing (Execute, Save, Rename, etc.).

How do I get these back? They appear on any new/blank SQL Editor tabs, but not when I open a file manually.

-Zac

5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Open .sql File, missing SQL Editor Toolbar & Buttons

Zac, SQL files can be saved to your workspace or exported to the file system. If you saved it to your workspace, it will show up in the Project Explorer. Click the Project Explorer tab and double click on the file and it will open in a Teradata SQL Editor.' File Open' with open the file with the SQL File Editor. You can choose which editor by selecting the file in the Project Explorer and right clicking, then choose Open With>Teradata SQL Editor. If you have already opened it with the File Open, double clicking remembers this so you will need to use Open With to switch bach to the Teradata SQL Editor.

Fan

Hi, I am having the same issue, and I'm not clear on the correct steps.  Are you saying for every file-system-saved SQL I open in Teradata Studio Express, every time I open them and want to save changes on my filesystem, I have to save them twice? Is there any workaround, or should I use a different Client if that's my preference to store queries in my filesystem?

Teradata Employee

Victoria, No. If you don't want to import the SQL file into your Workspace, you can create a link inside the Project Explorer to your file in the File System. Locate the SQL file and click on the Project Explorer tab so it is visible (not hidden behind the Data Source Explorer). Drag and drop the SQL file from Windows Explorer and drop in the Project Explorer. A pop up dialog will ask if you want to create a copy or link. Also note that SQL files in the Project Explorer are stored in your workspace directory.

Fan

Thank you so much for the quick help! Dragging and dropping directly into the SQL folder within project explorer, then right clicking to choose the Teradata SQL editor worked. Is there any way to assign this as the default editor for all .sql and .txt files I open in Teradata Studio Express?  Or does it have to be done on a per-file basis?

Teradata Employee

Victoria, The link option for a .sql file will open with the Teradata SQL Editor by default. Once you open the file with the Teradata SQL Editor, it should remember this the next time it is opened. A text file, .txt, will be opened with the Text Editor as default.