Result set unreadable on system with a high resolution display

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Result set unreadable on system with a high resolution display

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the results grid only showing the top half of the results - the grid is sized at half character height and I have to resize each row to see the text. I have a high resolution display (3200 x 1800) but I get the same result on the standard resolution second monitor. I've tried changing the resolution and character size but to no effect.

The History window is fine.

The icons are also tiny but that is a known Eclipse problem.

The problem occurs with the latest version of Teradata Studio (http://downloads.teradata.com/download/tools/teradata-studio - both 32 and 64 bit versions) and also an earlier version of Teradata Studio Express - both running under windows 8.1 pro 64 bit.

It makes using the program very frustrating because I either have to view in text mode or cut and paste into Excel every time.

Regards,

Mark

10 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Result set unreadable on system with a high resolution display

Mark, The result set viewer uses the system font. There is a toolbar button that allows you to format the entire result set, instead of having to select rows or columns.

Enthusiast

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. The row height is half what it should be so the only way I can get the full text visible is to set a 6 point text size which is pretty much unreadable and the formatting is only for the current result set so it's nearly as quick to cut and paste into Excel.

The result set viewer is incorrectly calculating the size of the font and so setting the row height incorrectly. It's a fairly common problem on high resolution displays and unfortunately turning the resolution down doesn't help.

Enthusiast

I am having the same problem on a High DPIdisplay. What's interesting is that the grid display of the Teradata SQL History window works, but the Teradata Result Set Viewer doesn't. This is a major issue as far as I'm concerned, because you need to change each result set to text in order to view it, but by doing that you lose some functionality.  

Teradata Employee

David, The result set viewer uses your system font. You can change the cell format using the ‘Format the result set’ toolbar option. In our upcoming 15.10 release, we have changed this to use one of the dialog fonts that can be more easily changed in the Preference page.

Enthusiast

Hi, I am using version 15.10.00.04, I'm looking for the option in the Preference page which fgrimmer mentions (last message) but but I can't find it unfortunately? Any help would be much appreciated.

Teradata Employee

James, There are a couple of options to change the Result Set font. One option is to use the Result Set Viewer toolbar option 'Format All' to change the font of the entire result set. A second option is to select certain cells, right click, and choose a menu option (Format foreground or Format background) for the selected cells.

A third option is to use the global Font preference page. Go to Window>Preferences to launch the Preference dialog. In the search field, enter 'font' or go to General>Appearance>Colors and Fonts. On the Colors and Fonts preference page, open the Basic folder and scroll to the Dialog Font. The Result Set Viewer defaults to the Dialog Font so change this will change future Result Set windows display font. 

I am using Teradata studio 15.12 on a 4k resolution and having same problem of unreadability of "Teradata Result Set Viewer".

For the data set, I am selecting all data and then increasing height and width of all rows and columns and that is working.

But I am not able to read the table headers  as the table header height is very small and I am not able to increase it. I need help to sort it out.

Thanks

Teradata Employee

The problem is not the font. It is the height of the cells. You can temporarily resize the height of the cells but that gets tedious after a while. We can't find any way to resize the height of the column label cells so you have to reduce the font size to an unreadable 6 point type to fit the label in the cell. 

Junior Supporter

Mark-

I have a Apple Mac 5k and the display is fine.  I'm running TD Studio 15.12.  Couple of suggestions:

1) I see that you're running 3200 x 1800.  I'm getting into territory that I'm not really knowledgable here, but, have you tried running in the 4:3 rather than 16:9, something like 3200 x 2400 or 2400 x 1800 if the resolutions are available.

2) The absolute worst advice and something that makes me really angry when support people ask, but, have you updated drivers for both monitor (if they're available) or video card?  (sorry, had to ask)

3)  Worst case, you can pull directly into Excel without cutting and pasting with the caveat that the TD ODBC drivers have to bit match Excel, 32:32 or 64:64.  If you need instructions, please reply to this email.

G.